EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-14, 12:38 PM   #11
jfweaver
Lurking Renovator

I recently switched from a 2.5GPM showerhead to a 1.75GPM (lowest that Lowes had) and I have noticed anecdotally that there is much less steam/condensation in the bathroom after a shower. I have about 2 years of bills where my water usage was just about even every month, so I should be able to see a slight change in the coming months.

jfweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 03:14 PM   #12
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
A standard window AC would freeze up at outdoor temps below about 60. Not useable as a heat pump when simply put in the window backwards.
The whole unit is indoors, so it's cooling one part of the room while heating another. If you only need heat in one part of the room, it's always a win compared to resistance heat.
Old 02-15-14, 04:50 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
The whole unit is indoors, so it's cooling one part of the room while heating another. If you only need heat in one part of the room, it's always a win compared to resistance heat.
You could rig a portable unit to blow cold air out the dryer vent if you have one. Or use the enclosed piping to blow out the window. Works like a Geothermal heat pump, since you are drawing room air into the chiller coil. No loss of capacity at sub-zero temps.

P.S. - I did this in a previous house. No matter what people say about makeup air, heat soak, blah, blah, it works very well. Straight up beats down a space heater for less wattage.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 06:49 PM   #14
jfweaver
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Bitcoin or something similar might be a good choice if a heat pump is not an option. You can even make use of "unprofitable" used hardware - it just has to make enough to make it worthwhile.
I have a couple of video cards paying me a few thousand Doge per day to run them. The free heat is a nice side benefit, for now.
Old 02-16-14, 10:12 PM   #15
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Dogecoins, Dread Pirate Roberts and I2P....

There is a ton of knowledge on the interwebs.
Old 04-13-14, 12:06 AM   #16
jfweaver
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfweaver View Post
I recently switched from a 2.5GPM showerhead to a 1.75GPM (lowest that Lowes had) and I have noticed anecdotally that there is much less steam/condensation in the bathroom after a shower. I have about 2 years of bills where my water usage was just about even every month, so I should be able to see a slight change in the coming months.
This is the shower head I have been using for the past 2 months: Shop Oxygenics 1.75-GPM (6.6-LPM) Chrome 7-Spray WaterSense Showerhead at Lowes.com

So on average, my water usage has gone down by just over 100 gallons a month (was averaging just under 1000 gallons and I am now right around 880). That works out to about $1/month in water and about $0.40/month in sewer fees. I can't say how much I am saving on heating the extra ~100 gallons a month.