EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-14, 05:06 PM   #1
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Definition of very moral legislators

I think the definition of very moral and ethical elected officials in most petroleum exporting states and provinces is different from the definition most of us are accustomed to. I think the definition the uninformed population in those states and provinces that are big exporters (not the informed group in those states and provinces) is that a very moral and ethical elected official is someone who when bought STAYS bought.

Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 04:11 AM   #2
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

There are no morals in politics; there is only expedience. A scoundrel may be of use to us just because he is a scoundrel. ~ Vladimir Lenin ~
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 02:57 PM   #3
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
There are no morals in politics; there is only expedience. A scoundrel may be of use to us just because he is a scoundrel. ~ Vladimir Lenin ~
I pretty much knew that was your opinion without you having stated it here. The last time we had a disagreement (about man induced climate change) as the conversation lowered it finally hit rock bottom when you accused me of being either a cross-dresser or a transsexual because of my handle. (I'm not)

So, I'm not at all surprised you'd like to lump all politics to the least common denominator. It makes it easy then to accuse government of always being bad. It seems to me what you really are doing is using your own weakness of throwing the kitchen sink when things are not looking up for your side of the argument and then ascribing the same thing to other people. I think most of us have higher ethics than that and that's why one can never give up on government having the potential of improving things for the majority of people. Good people have to be in government for the results to be good.
Old 06-01-14, 04:43 PM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I believe there are plenty of good people in politics. But what is good for me may not be good for you. Consider that their constituency keeps most politicians in office. This is why so many politicians waffle on issues and play both sides of the fence. The system is geared so the evil geniuses end up in appointed or permanent positions and remain, while the (relatively) moral and ethical people are retired or ejected. Popular opinion changes by the hour, so what a lawmaker did yesterday may not be OK today. When election day comes, "tree-hugger Jim" gets voted out for the platform he followed during his term. Cuz the forest doesn't need him to save it for a decade or so. Thanks and goodbye, Jim.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:02 PM   #5
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuckoo bird.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	4408
This picture sums it up perfectly

Last edited by ecomodded; 06-03-14 at 07:23 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 05:50 PM   #6
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I believe there are plenty of good people in politics. But what is good for me may not be good for you. Consider that their constituency keeps most politicians in office. This is why so many politicians waffle on issues and play both sides of the fence. The system is geared so the evil geniuses end up in appointed or permanent positions and remain, while the (relatively) moral and ethical people are retired or ejected. Popular opinion changes by the hour, so what a lawmaker did yesterday may not be OK today. When election day comes, "tree-hugger Jim" gets voted out for the platform he followed during his term. Cuz the forest doesn't need him to save it for a decade or so. Thanks and goodbye, Jim.
Actually, I think we agree on a surprising number of things. Where I think we disagree is on the definitions. For instance, suppose you live in a small town, like I do. Walmart tried to get in here. A lot of people really wanted it because all they could think about was lower prices for things. They didn't think about the fact that those lower prices come at a cost.

1. This is the biggest: It would have driven most of the smaller retailers in town out of business that carry the same products Walmart has.

2. They pay such low wages that the employees are eligible for government subsidies like food stamps and other low income subsidies. This means you and me are subsidizing them.

3. It helps put American manufacturers out of business because of the low (subsidized) cost of Chinese goods.

Happily we stopped them from coming here. This issue isn't so much about someone elses interests being different from you or mine. It is an education issue where people have not been educated in critical thinking. They see only the small immediate payoff of lower product prices and not the big picture of lower quality of life and increasing poverty in small towns across America. A lot of people are just plain stupid about these issues and its not about my interest being different than yours. Even the manager of a new local Walmart will have to see the hollowed out core of a small town that used to be vibrant. And he'll be saddled with the burden of knowing he is benefiting at the cost of the whole town. Like I said, it takes good people to make a government function well. That means people who see the big picture quality of life for the greatest amount of people, not just a few at the top of the pyramid, like the Walton clan.