EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-08, 03:35 PM   #1
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Air leak beneath and above sill plate

My girlfriend and I are finishing the basement in our split-foyer home. We have slowly been fixing a few things that the original contractors did poorly and started on some half walls as well. One thing We noticed the other day was that between the sill plate and the top of the concrete half-wall there is some ~1/4" foam. We could feel a decent draft coming through this area and will be going around the entire room with a hefty bead of caulk to seal this.

One other area we felt a draft was on the top side of the bottom plate. Where the stud meets the bottom plate there was a large (~3/16" gap) on several of the studs. You could feel the cold air coming through this gap as well. We used some silicone and went around the entire basement filling in these gaps as well.

Just thought that I'd mention it as something that other people finishing a basement might be able to look at for ensuring a well insulated/no draft space.

I will try to get a picture or two in the next few days.

cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 04:27 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Pics would be great. Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 08:23 PM   #3
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

This picture is the gap between the bottom of the stud and the top of the sill plate.

This picture is the gap between the bottom of the sill plate and the concrete half wall. Also notice the 1/8" gap between plates that I could plainly see outside through that has been sealed up.

This picture shows how we've tried to seal the gap between the sill plate and the concrete half wall.

cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, cold air, draft, leak