EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-14, 07:52 AM   #21
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Ok, so I'm late to the party, but I read an article from a guy in Houston, TX that may interest you.

Cool Roof Design for Hot Texas Climate | Houston Cool Metal Roofs

You might want to give this a few minutes of your time. I found it very interesting and will try to do this if/when I replace the galvalume roof on my 12 year old house.

I am a huge fan of foam insulation, both my home and my garage / workshop project were foamed. I just did the foam the lazy way. Traditional framing and foam the entire inside envelope. Sealed up nicely and did a pretty good job on a blower door test. My remaining air exchanges were from a leaky French Door install in the MBR, the vent for the gas HWH and the through the floor drain for said HWH. Still, a very energy efficient home and it's very comfortable too.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 09:21 AM   #22
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

gasstingy,

That is exactly what I'm building. I read about ASV a couple of years ago and knew that was the way to go. I lived in Houston for 10 years. The "vented" attics with the black asphalt roofs got crazy hot. I tried better venting but it was never enough. The attic was never anywhere near the outdoor temp. It would be 90 outside and deadly up in the attic.

If you read what I wrote on page two, you can see it is the same thing.

"My layers from the bottom up will be attic truss, OSB roof deck, grace triflex underlayment, three or four layers of 3/4" dow foam board (taped seams offset between layers), maybe radiant barrier, verticle 1x4 boards set at 24" OC, horizontal 1x4s set at 24" OC, and then a metal roof. The area between the radiant barrier and roof will be vented at the peak. That is a metal roof vent and not an attic vent."

Austin

dablack is offline   Reply With Quote