EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-08, 05:35 PM   #1
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Replacement Windows

Has anyone installed replacement windows? A lot of companies around here (Sacramento, CA area) pop out the window but leave the aluminum sash. They then slide specially designed replacement windows into the frame. The new window trim covers the original frame. You lose some viewing area but you don't have to have any work done to the outside (stucco) or inside of your house.

How hard is this to do? How do you handle fixed windows? We currently have aluminum double pane windows. They aren't very efficient. All of our windows are either fixed or sliders. We have no double hung or casement windows. I would like to change some of ours to casement.

truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 01:06 PM   #2
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

If I remember correctly I think it has to do with how they are installed to begin with. I think that if they slid in from the out side they have to go out that way.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 02:20 PM   #3
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

we replaced all our aluminum windows w/ PVC over the span of the last 2 years. We paid someone, the equivalent of 16 windows (one is the size of 3 'standard' windows) it was about $8-9k total. this'll be the first winter with them all in.

i heard enough not to do it yourself, because of the risk of the angle being wrong and water running in, not out. plus our windows were custom sized, not just something you pick up at home depot.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 06:52 PM   #4
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

We swapped all of the windows out at the camp; all not standard sizes, all required re-sizing the hole. Was a good bit of work, but definitely beats the window which were already there with broken panes.
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 03:08 PM   #5
IndyIan
Lurking Renovator

We had vinyl windows installed in our new house and they didn't have standard sizes, so we could get whatever size we wanted. That particular company just builds by orders, and all our windows for the whole house, 29 was around $8k. Try to find where the builders get windows instead of the home despot as you should get better advice and options. We are in Ontario, Canada, but I'd think most major centres have a local window manufacturer.
Ian
IndyIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 05:15 PM   #6
Otto
Lurking Renovator

I lived in Europe as a kid, and there they have double windows, plus shutters. Not double-pane windows like ours here today, but two separate & parallel sets of windows with a sill in between, which was handy to keep your beer or wine chilled in wintertime.

Anyhow, rather than paying $$$ for new double- or triple-pane windows, why not get a good used set of single-pane windows for cheap or free on Craig's List, and install them parallel to the old ones? (Think permanent storm windows.)

Make workable shutters out of sandwiched Hardipanel and styrofoam, and you get security and keep the inside dark for sleeping, too.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (05-13-13)
Old 11-14-09, 02:12 PM   #7
sohosky
Lurking Renovator

I do quite a bit of window installs old and new work. The rule of thumb with using replacements as apposed to new construction windows has alot to do with the age of the construction. Much older homes are more favorable for replacements. Where newer homes requiring windows typically require removing the entire window frame. Cost is alot more labor wise. every home is different
sohosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 06:10 PM   #8
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I've worked on a number of houses with replacement windows, both vinyl and wood, I like the wood ones more, but the style that I can get here are made here, windows are made all over the place, a style that is avalible in one area is not always avalible in another, so take some photos of what you have and go to a door and window retailer, show them what you have and tell them your skills and have them help you pick out some windows.
With a crew of 4 people we removed and replaced all 21 dubble hung windows in my two story house over the course if 6 hours including clean up, the first time I replaced a window like that it took me around two hours to do one window.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 01:11 AM   #9
guerciofernando

wood windows are great for decorate your home. I much prefer wood windows.
Old 09-11-11, 11:00 PM   #10
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

I had Home Hardware install five somewhat standard size windows in our 60 year old home. I insisted that the entire window be replaced since I didn't want to lose any glass area. They came and measured so that the new windows were attached to the Jack stud rather than the old window frame. Cost was about $3,500 (which was paid for by the rebates from the renovation).