EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-12, 06:36 AM   #61
hondo434
Lurking Renovator

Hv23t, Great project!
FYI, I have a Whirlpool Dehumidifier about 15 yrs old. There was a recall for a repair on some units. The dehumidifier would not shut off and overheat and catch fire. I would recommend researching your unit to see if it was a recalled unit.
Just some thoughts...
Using a lowboy tank may help with temp. differential from top to bottom, maybe enough to raise unit on a stand and place dehum. underneath to save footprint.
Consumer equipment is made to service a wide range of conditions, such as a 2 person household or a 6 person household, thus making a 6 person scenario not as efficient for a 2 person. The setup for your parents is probably overkill and not as efficient than if they had a smaller setup for water heating. While you have improved their system as it stands, they may save more by downsizing to appropriate sized units, jmho.
Good luck with your experiments!

hondo434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:27 PM   #62
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo434 View Post
Hv23t, Great project!
FYI, I have a Whirlpool Dehumidifier about 15 yrs old. There was a recall for a repair on some units. The dehumidifier would not shut off and overheat and catch fire. I would recommend researching your unit to see if it was a recalled unit.
Just some thoughts...
Using a lowboy tank may help with temp. differential from top to bottom, maybe enough to raise unit on a stand and place dehum. underneath to save footprint.
Consumer equipment is made to service a wide range of conditions, such as a 2 person household or a 6 person household, thus making a 6 person scenario not as efficient for a 2 person. The setup for your parents is probably overkill and not as efficient than if they had a smaller setup for water heating. While you have improved their system as it stands, they may save more by downsizing to appropriate sized units, jmho.
Good luck with your experiments!
Thanks for the info on the recall. My units serial #starts with QT which is not effected by the recall. My sister and her 2 year old son are staying with my parents while her husband finishes up flight school. So there are currently 4 people using the system. Also having just finished the setup I'm not to keen about the idea of tearing it all apart at the moment. Thanks

Hv23t
Hv23t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 02:07 PM   #63
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Just finished assembling the defrost circuit for the dehumidifier. It's a basic adjustable recycle timer. Adjustable from 1-180 minutes for both on and off times. I'm going to try 45 min on then 5 minutes off for the compressor and see how that works out.

Hv23t
Old 12-23-12, 02:10 PM   #64
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hv23t View Post
Just finished assembling the defrost circuit for the dehumidifier. It's a basic adjustable recycle timer. Adjustable from 1-180 minutes for both on and off times. I'm going to try 45 min on then 5 minutes off for the compressor and see how that works out.

Hv23t
Was this a kit? Do you have the schematic?
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 03:41 PM   #65
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Was this a kit? Do you have the schematic?
Yes and Yes

Hv23t
Old 12-27-12, 11:16 PM   #66
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Couple things, one don't leave your defrost circuit board lieing around where your 6 year old son can get a hold of it. He saw me testing it using the 12 volt battery out of his electric pickup with small jumper wires. Then the next day I found the board and the battery hooked together in his play room. He was very close to getting it hooked up correctly but not quite. Both timer chips are KIA, but no apparent damage to any traces. So I've placed an order for 10 new chips. Which comes to 3.67 with shipping, amazing. Secondly my digital temp control arrived today. I'm using this to shut off the heat pump when the temp gets too cold. My geospring switches to the electric heating elements below 40f so I think I'll set it for the same.

Hv23t
Old 12-28-12, 08:10 AM   #67
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hv23t View Post
...don't leave your defrost circuit board lieing around where your 6 year old son can get a hold of it. He saw me testing it using the 12 volt battery out of his electric pickup with small jumper wires. Then the next day I found the board and the battery hooked together in his play room. He was very close to getting it hooked up correctly but not quite...
Hope you weren't too stern with your young Edison.

I think Radio Shack still has kits for kids that allow them to easily discover the basics of electricity.

Good story...

-AC
Old 12-28-12, 09:33 AM   #68
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I've got that exact same temperature controller. It works great. Just using it to display water temp right now.

That young man, is destined for great DIY projects!

I remember my first DIY project..

After repeated tries, my IQ was increased by 60% (also enlarging my hat size to 8 1/2 see photo).

A few years later, my idea was used in the movie Forbidden Planet

The made it look real fancy and changed the name from BoyZapper to the "plastic educator", a machine capable of enhancing intellectual capacity..
Hollywood jerks..

Last edited by Xringer; 12-28-12 at 09:36 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 01:48 PM   #69
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Hope you weren't too stern with your young Edison.

-AC
He actually picked the perfect time to do it and get away with it. I found it as we were walking out the door to go celibate Christmas with my family. So I had no time to punish him. And after a great meal and great time with the family I had no desire to either. So I examined it and found the timers were inexpensive so how can I be mad at him for trying to imitate me? Maybe I should reconsider my driving habits......

Hv23t
Old 12-28-12, 01:49 PM   #70
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I've got that exact same temperature controller. It works great. Just using it to display water temp right now.

That young man, is destined for great DIY projects!

I remember my first DIY project..

After repeated tries, my IQ was increased by 60% (also enlarging my hat size to 8 1/2 see photo).

A few years later, my idea was used in the movie Forbidden Planet

The made it look real fancy and changed the name from BoyZapper to the "plastic educator", a machine capable of enhancing intellectual capacity..
Hollywood jerks..
Love it!

Hv23t