EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-12, 12:48 PM   #41
lucerne96
Helper EcoRenovator

A cheap & easy solar heat blocker is to make an exterior storm window from 1"x2" stock, and stretch over it a solar emergency blanket. Tape the edges down, install with the reflective side facing out. This system costs about $10 per opening.

lucerne96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 08:30 PM   #42
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Here is my solution that I and my HOA was happy with:

Landmark EnergyStar rated asphalt shingles by Certainteed in Silver Birch color. This is the only 25%+ heat reflective asphalt shingle that isn't white or $$$$$$$. In fact, this was a no additional cost upgrade. Most shingles only reflect 3-8% of heat.

On a 93F sunny day, my old shingles were 159F, the underside of the roof deck was 136F, the top of my R30 blown-in insulation was 118F, and the ceiling side of my drywall was approx 88F.

Before replacing the roof, I put a sample patch up. On a 70F mostly sunny day, the old roof was 144F while the new shingles were only 124F!

I haven't gone back up there to test since the weather is warmer, but on a couple of 90F days, the ceiling is within 1-2F of room temp, and downstairs rooms with sun coming in them are much hotter than upstairs rooms without sun!

Note the Crepe Myrtles shading the walls, windows, door & garage door. This photo was taken around 6pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Energy Star roof (Small).JPG
Views:	16974
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2329  

Last edited by Mobile Master Tech; 05-19-12 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: typo
Mobile Master Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
MN Renovator (05-18-12), RobbMeeX (06-07-13)
Old 05-19-12, 11:19 AM   #43
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Temp test on 70F day. Old roof:

And new roof:

The whole house pic doesn't do it justice due to low resolution. It is a very pretty light gray with some visual texture to it. A poll of my neighbors showed that most preferred it to the color of my old roof.

This was the first solar reflective roof my roofer had done. His comment when we were on the roof together inspecting the job? "Wow! It actually feels cool up here! Most roofs you just feel baked from below."

Can you say "improved PV array efficiency?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New roof temp (Mobile).jpg
Views:	8474
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old roof temp (Mobile).jpg
Views:	5046
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2331  

Last edited by Mobile Master Tech; 05-19-12 at 11:28 AM..
Mobile Master Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
BeeHappy (05-13-16), Daox (05-19-12), mariepsych (08-05-12)
Old 05-21-12, 03:47 AM   #44
Exalta-STA
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That looks promising! You made me wanna try and photoshop if my house looks good with a white roof
Exalta-STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 01:02 PM   #45
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It's actually a pleasing light gray. Wish the picture did it justice. Most white roofs are very... well, WHITE, and they tend not to stay that way. You're welcome to come look, but it looks like your trip would be a bit long!

Many home improvement stores have a large sample patch installed on the wall and smaller sample boards you can take home with a deposit. Since you aren't in the US, the specification you are looking for is "Initial Solar Reflectance". Energy star criteria are that this number must be at least 0.25 and maintain 0.15 SR after 3 years. Mine are 0.27, higher is better.

Landmark Solaris Platinum shingles from Certainteed have an ISR of 0.40 but are $$$ because of higher cost per square and more bundles to cover 1 square.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
mariepsych (08-05-12)
Old 05-22-12, 12:13 PM   #46
Exalta-STA
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hahaha the tickets for the trip would cost me my whole 401k

I saw some sold here at Home Depot and at Ace hardware...I was just passing by so I wasn't able to ask the specs on it and how to attach it and if it'll stand u to 100kph winds since typhoons hit this place 20-30 times a year.

But that color looks a lot lighter than the one on my sheetmetal roof..so i'm quite sure that it's gonna be effective like you mentioned
Exalta-STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 12:29 PM   #47
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

When installed as recommended by Certainteed(details on their site) they give a 110mph wind warranty on Landmark shingles and 130mph on Solaris and others. Homeowner's insurance also covers wind damage.

Metal roofs almost always are more thermally reflective, but many don't like the look/cost/rain noise. I'm required by my HOA to use asphalt shingles.

Craig
Old 06-02-12, 12:04 PM   #48
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Craig,

It's good to see how much cooler your new roof is and how well it fits with the house and neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
Metal roofs almost always are more thermally reflective, but many don't like the look/cost/rain noise. I'm required by my HOA to use asphalt shingles.
Craig
FWIW, We have a 'galvalume' metal roof which fits well with our house and in our neighborhood (no HOA either). We don't notice much rain noise at all, though that may be due to the R-50 of cellulose insulation in the attic.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 12:08 PM   #49
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

FYI - Here's another study on white roofs - The long-term effect of increasing the albedo of urban areas. Researchers at the Concordia University Heat Island Group in Montreal estimate that painting 1% of the world’s urban surfaces white (rooftops and pavement) could reduce CO2 emissions by 130 gigatons over the next 50-100 years!

One more reason to Paint it White.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimJFowler For This Useful Post:
mariepsych (08-05-12)
Old 07-30-12, 07:58 PM   #50
S-F
You Ain't Me

Just thought I'd toss this in there:

The Science: Why Radiant Barriers Don't Work in Connecticut

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, paint, roof