EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-10, 08:16 AM   #1
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Thumbs up Bubble Wrap Window Insulation

Bubble Wrap Window Insulation

Hi,

New guy here and my 1st post...

It's that time of year again when we all try to keep the cold out of our homes. This stuff really works and is my 4th year of using it.It turns single pane to double pane and double pane to triple pane window insulation. I've used a IR thermometer to validate the results and found that temperature of the bubble wrap and adjacent wall are the same.You can buy a box of it at wally world for $10 that will do several windows (or half windows). I have a large sliding glass patio door that I use it on and several other windows in the house. It made a big difference in how comfortable the rooms felt, not to mention the savings in energy.

builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm
(corrected link)

(since I have less than 5 posts I can not post a link to the site that has the information. Just add the w w w . in front of the above address.)

Edit; BubbleWrap

Try it, you'll like it...

>

p.s.

I'm looking foward to particapating in this great forum that ya'll created. (I have also joined ecomodder...)

redneck

>

Last edited by redneck; 11-14-14 at 06:30 AM..
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 11:52 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site redneck.

I've also read about using bubble wrap on the windows. I decided to make interior storm windows instead to retain visibility through the window. They also perform a bit better.

I'm still working on them, but can't wait to have them done!

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...m-windows.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 03:08 PM   #3
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
... I've used a IR thermometer to validate the results and found that temperature of the bubble wrap and adjacent wall are the same....
Redneck, I absolutely believe that the bubblewrap works to insulate windows per BuildItSolar.com. But I think you need to use the IR Thermometer on the outside of the window and wall.

Because heat energy is moving from hot (inside the house) to cold (outside) in winter I believe that your interior surface temps probably won't differ by much at all. To determine how much heat your window is losing I think you need to use the IR thermometer on the outside of the window and wall. If you compare two equivalent windows, one with bubblewrap and one without, from the outside you will probably see a temperature difference.

FWIW,
Tim

TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimJFowler For This Useful Post:
Phantom (12-28-10)
Old 12-22-10, 09:01 PM   #4
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

For some reason the link I posted was incorrect.

Correct link.

builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

Edit; http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...bubblewrap.htm

Daox

Your interior storm window project looks awsome...

The bubble wrap is just simple to do and undo. To see out all one need do is cover only half of the window. (some extra insulation is better than nothing)

TimJFowler

I have read the outside temps. You are correct, the window with the bubble wrap loses much less than the one without.

>

Last edited by redneck; 11-14-14 at 06:31 AM..
Old 12-23-10, 09:35 AM   #5
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here's the link in clickable form:
BubbleWrap

I think I'll rig up some instrumentation and give this one a try. I have a storm window that's covered in (occasionally frozen) condensation that I can't see out of anyway, so why not use bubble wrap in the winter?

Speaking of condensation, I'm going to put the bubble wrap on the storm window to avoid having a low-temperature surface (the glass under the bubble wrap) in my house to steal my humidity.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 07:40 PM   #6
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I applied bubble wrap to one window, using condensation already on the window to adhere it. It's really easy to apply.

I applied 1/4" bubble wrap to the storm window, then measured the temperature of the air gap between the storm window and regular window. It's a good thing I did, otherwise I would not have known that's a poor spot for bubble wrap in this case. This particular storm window lets a little draft through. The insulation brought an improvement, but when cold air blows right around it, insulation isn't terribly effective. The temperature in the air gap went up 2°F, and there's a 38°F difference between inside the window vs outside.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
Phantom (12-28-10)
Old 11-14-14, 06:28 AM   #7
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

It's Bubble Wrap Time again...

I've been doing this mod for 8 years now.

It's simple and works.

BubbleWrap

>
Old 11-14-14, 10:37 AM   #8
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It is starting to get cold in Alabama (mid 20s), so I need to do this again. If nothing else, I can do it on the spare rooms that are not heavily used.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 09:21 PM   #9
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I am going to devise a system (eh hem) to insulate my sliding glass door.
Its Big , its single pane and its the largest energy sap in my house.
(all the other windows but 2 small ones are Double Pane)

unless I get better ideas I am going first put a full sheet of 10 mil poly sheet over it , stapled in place over pre cut square plastic washers.
Then i will use finishing nails to tack up a old comforter / blanket , then the original curtains.

I will loose the use of my sliding door so it will be done for the 3 cold months / high heating cost months then removed.

its 28* F (-2*c) right now tonight it will get down to 21*F (-6*c)
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 05:09 PM   #10
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I have installed my Sliding door insulation treatment. If I had the bubble wrap I would of put it up as the first layer.

I did staple some 10 mil plastic up it was nice to work with and went up tight without crinkles , then using finishing nails I nailed up a light blue comforter very tightly to the door frame, no crinkles either.

I put my curtain rod back up with the curtains on it at night I can close those for more insulation , during daylight the light blue comforter shines a sky blue color that appears cheerful or summer like in my Imagination. Imagination helps ! haha.

So my energy sapping sliding glass door is now much more energy efficient than before.

I guesstimate it will reduce the cold emission by 75%

what I will do is measure its surface temperature tonight and compare it to a single pane of glasses temperature and see what gains it has made.

Right now the comforter 83*F on its surface with the sun on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit:

~ back after sundown to add temperatures ~

30*F or -1 c at 6:00 pm sun is down

The house is 68*

For the comforter its 63* at the top and 58* in the middle the bottom is 53*

In the same room the small kitchen windows temperature was 38* F and the other twin window to it in the bathroom , which was directly above a running 500w baseboard heater was 42*

If my math is right .. it works out to a 70% reduction in the sliding glass doors cold emissivity.
One thing is for certain , It will cause a reduction in the heating Btu's required this Winter.

`````````````````````````````````

Last edited by ecomodded; 11-16-14 at 08:26 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote