EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-15, 08:39 AM   #31
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

The key here is drying the air first before you send it to the living space. One year I had the bright idea to 'suck the nice cool air from the basement' to the rest of the house and about killed us all the temperature rose about 20 degrees in 20 mins. due to the humidity / enthalpy - I turned that off real quick lol

vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-15, 08:21 AM   #32
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhead77 View Post
The key here is drying the air first before you send it to the living space. One year I had the bright idea to 'suck the nice cool air from the basement' to the rest of the house and about killed us all the temperature rose about 20 degrees in 20 mins. due to the humidity / enthalpy - I turned that off real quick lol
The temperature shouldn't rise. The moisture content(as measured by the dew point) in a house with all open doors should be nearly the same. If you were somehow causing a negative pressure pulling outdoor air inside I could see this happening but other than that I can't make sense of this.

I tried this once but once the cooler downstairs air mixed with the warmer air upstairs, eventually the heat upstairs overwhelmed the downstairs temperature after a few days and the basement wasn't cool anymore and there was little cool air left to lose downstairs to cool the upstairs and the air conditioner was powered back on. ..put that together with dew points in the 70s outdoors and I needed to run the AC to bring the dew point down to a safe level in the basement to prevent mold. So for me, it worked for awhile and is plenty good when it isn't in the 80's outside and there is a good cold thermal mass in the basement. It gets exhausted quickly with solar exposure in my case.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 06:23 PM   #33
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

I'm referring to the fact that without drying the air in the basement first, I raised the relative humidity in the living space most likely close to 100% which made it nearly impossible to sweat. So I was exaggerating about the temperature rise as it is really just a 'conceived' rise in temperature. 75 degrees in 0% humidity feels like 69 degrees and 75 degrees at 100% humidity feels like 80 degrees. I'm thinking it was 85 degrees at 30% or 40% humidity that day so you can imagine how we felt when the humidity shot up quickly to 90% to 100 %

vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote