EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-11, 08:24 PM   #31
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My girlfriend's reel mower was rather dull and I realized that mine could use a sharpening as well so after failing at finding anyone in town that sharpens them I ordered a $15 sharpening kit, it has a small tub of lapping gel for the blades, a crank to turn the balds, instructions and a small cheap paint brush for the lapping gel.
Valve lapping compound is said to work too, but the stuff I have is rather thin and the gel is nice as it stays in place and instead of using the crank I hooked up my 1/2" chuck drill, the blades on the one mower were so bad that they had a large space in the a few spots while rubbing hard on other spots, a few minutes and a 2nd application of the lapping gel and it's smooth and cutting all the way across.
My new Fiskers is working great. I did a paper cutting test when I got it.
(Per the manual). The moving blades do not touch the fixed blade,
but pass very close to it. Cuts like shape scissors.

My question is, how is the gel used? Just paint it on the cutting edges and
then tighten up the cutting gap for light contact, when turned?

Thanks,
Rich

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 09:55 PM   #32
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

LOL! My daughter pushed my new Fiskers Reel mower around the backyard on Saturday,
and got herself a Reel mower at Home Depot on Sunday. I think it was the Scotts 16".
She has a pretty good sized backyard.. Gonna get a good workout!

Chip off the old block..
Old 06-06-11, 11:55 AM   #33
S-F
You Ain't Me

The house I'm about to move into is on a 1/3 acre lot. Someone is willing to give me a reel mower but I'm concerned that it's too much yard. How big are the yards people are cutting? I have been a landscaper at least some of the time every year since 1996 and find the thought of using a manual mower a little frustrating after using a giant 400 Lbs. 56" commercial mower.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 01:02 PM   #34
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

The area mowed by users I've seen in reviews, widely varied. Most were small lots.
But some were larger. We have 1/2 acre, but the house, garage & woods strip out back,
take up much of the area..
We have mostly been cutting about 1/2 the grassy area at a time. If it gets too hot,
we might cut back to cutting 1/3 at a time.
I hear it's gonna get real hot this week.. But today is fantastic!
Old 06-18-11, 01:13 AM   #35
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

I have another observation not mentioned here.

The reel mowers do sort of a "floppsy moppsy" cut to the grass that is a bit more shaggy than some prefer. A regular mower has a vortex of vacuum that straightens out each blade and makes it stand at attention, therefore most of the cuts are uniform and give your lawn the "jarhead" gi cut appearance.

The real mower doesn't create this vacuum and cuts the grass as it lays. Sort of a Ringo cut for your lawn.

I don't see the hub bub about raking and catching the grass either. I let mine just fall into the lawn and mulch. Now it once made a mess after a rain, but that's about it. You would never know looking at my lawn that I haven't ever raked it and I don't catch my grass.

I got my very slightly used mower off craigslist for 10 bux, from a rich guy that finally got back on his feet and can now afford gardeners. I haven’t sharpened it in a year or more since I got it. Seems fine.

And finally, I HAVE mowed my lawn at 4 am. I live in phoenix and it’s just about as hot here at midnight as it is when the sun is still out. Once in a while I get up very early and just get it done. I wear one of those lighted headbands and go to work. My front yard is well lit as I have a street light in the corner of it. I have mowed many times late at night, I find it refreshing and I am usually listening to pod casts while the mower ticks away.

This is my first post here. I am also a member over at ecomodder. This looks like a good place to learn.
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 07:07 AM   #36
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Welcome to EcoRenovator

Excellent post -- I agree with your points. A push reel mower requires more frequent use -- if the grass gets too long, then you must either mow it many times, or use another type of tool. My corded electric mower is usually my backup, but in smaller areas, a grass whip is possible.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 11:14 AM   #37
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Thanks for the welcome!

I have found a way, as I am sure others have, to get a GI type cut. You have to set your mower to the lowest setting. I don't like that look. Like when my grandpa used to cut my hair in the summer with those clippers after convincing my mom he had done it once in the navy while overseas with his drunken buddies. I cried less when my dog died. (I guess I was pretty vain even as a child.)

Craigslist is the place to find these mowers. I have 2 of my friends now mowing this way. (oh, and I only have 3 friends) My mower is the nicest of the bunch tho.
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:45 AM   #38
Weed Dog
Lurking Renovator

Default Reel Mower Notes

I bought a Task Force brand 18” reel mower last year from...was it Home Despot?...well, from one of the larger chain stores, and mow my small front and side yards with it. It is lightweight compared to the reel mower I used as a boy, and that lack of mass does have its' disadvantages.

Neil and other posters are right- many reel mowers will not provide as even a cut if the grass is allowed to get too tall.

Set the cutting height too low and that tall, thick grass can provide enough resistance that the main wheels slide, slowing or stopping the blade rotation and of course affecting the evenness of the cut. Wet grass has a similar affect.

Heavier (this often includes older) reel mowers that are well maintained can be less prone to the problem of having the main wheels slide over tall and/or wet grass.

S-F, for what it's worth, there is a bit of a macho factor attached to using a reel mower. Then again, you can look a bit Luddite, too...
Weed Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:52 AM   #39
S-F
You Ain't Me

DO you all think it's even doable for me to cut my lawn with one of these things?
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 10:40 AM   #40
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Scotts 14 in. Reel Mower Model # 304-14S

This thing seems like a toy reel mower to me. But, it does work.

We went to my daughter's house yesterday and I checked out her tiny reel mower (from Home Depot).
The cutting bar/fixed blade was adjusted way too tight. I found a 5/16 wrench and tweaked it down,
and found it would only cut paper in the center area.. And, that was with the blades actually touching in the center.
Making me think the cutting bar has an upwards bow in the center!

After the adjustment, it seemed easier to push and the cutting seemed about the same.
A few hours later, my kid emailed me her delight in how easy she was able
to cut the lawn next door. for the elderly man, who can hardly walk anymore.

Note:
If you carry this mower upstairs etc, be very careful not to bump your leg into it,
the exposed bladed will cut you up some. My daughter's ankle cuts occurred
with a very gentle bump. Could have been a lot worse.

Tags
mow, push reel