EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-19-10, 07:59 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default 10 Things to Do Now for a Better Garden Next Spring

Some decent tips with lots of links to additional info which is always nice.

BTW, anyone try trench composting as mentioned in the article? Sounds like a good idea to me.

10 Things to Do Now for a Better Garden Next Spring - Planet Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 10:02 AM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I trench compost kitchen scraps from roughly july to october up here. I do it because my compost bin tends to be full by then and I want to be 100% sure there is no smell issues for my neighbours. End of october I empty the bin onto the gardens and start again for next year.

This year the trench composting went to a whole new level as I had probably 50 pounds of tomatoes that spoiled so I just dug holes and put the cardboard boxes they were in and all directly in the ground. I turned the garden over about a month and a half later and could identify parts of the boxes but the tomatoes had turned to a brown sludge with a ton of worms. they should be gone by spring.

One thing to remember though the seeds from everything will not breakdown in this process, there is no way it will get hot enough so if I don't turn the area and kill them I will have thousands of baby tomato, pepper, pumpkin,... plants coming up next spring. As well if any of the stuff was diseased it can't go in any compost but definitely not trench composting. It would almost certainly just infect your garden soil.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 05:52 PM   #3
RobSmith
Lurking Renovator

I do trench composting too. I find it works really well because the scraps break down really quickly where I live in Oregon. Nature does it's work without too much fussing about.
RobSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 08:14 PM   #4
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I sheet compost in the garden paths. In the hot, humid southeast climate, the scraps disappear quickly and the organic matter formed can be forked onto the nearest bed when needed. It never made sense to me to haul tons of stuff over to a corner of the garden to make a compost pile, then turn around and haul the resultant compost over to another part of the garden to be incorporated into planting beds. All my weeds and other plant debris go into the paths to sheet compost where my foot traffic also helps to mash them into the ground where the worms can get to them easier.

I also don't plant cover crops since the local weeds can plant themselves and their seeds are free. I just cut the weeds down for mulch before they produce seed.

basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 02:15 AM   #5
ella1985
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for such impressive tips on how to do this.
ella1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 06:42 PM   #6
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I'll have to take some pictures of the garden where I trench composted. As I said it doesn't get hot enough to kill the seeds. I've got dozens of sunflowers, what looks like pumpkin, some kale, and a bunch of tomatoes pushing through. This is after turning 3 or 4 times and then planting the area. I'm going to go with it...

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote