EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-09, 02:56 PM   #1
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default signs of poor attic insulation?

This identifier probably only applys to people in places that get snowy enough roofs.

I notice many older homes and businesses in my area have huge ice formations that go all the way to the ground . Some have ice to lesser extents. There usually isn't as much snow left on the roof deck. It all melts and dams up over the overhange. The newer or updated homes don't seem to have this problem.

Does this seem like a good indicator of heat loss (and attic insulation)?
How does your roof look?

I don't have any ice hanging around the edges and the snow just keeps piling up on my roof. In fact I just busted up and removed a good portion of the drift in the picture. I do know that more insulation would be even better though .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	69  
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 03:11 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I think its a pretty good sign. Here is my house and you can see that the eves have more snow on them than the middle part.

You can also tell that my walls are loosing heat here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:20 AM   #3
Higgy
The Gardener

Well, I think even new houses aren't always insulated correctly. I still think there's something wrong with mine. As you can see, my roof has no snow on the tip top, and it's hanging over the side of the roof.

Anyone have any suggestions. It's blown in throughout the house except over the garage which is fiberglass insulation which I did in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	House01.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	70   Click image for larger version

Name:	House02.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	72   Click image for larger version

Name:	House03.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	73  
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:50 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

How windy has it been by you? Maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe get some pics and tell us what you got for insulation in the attic (how many inches of cellulose)?

&
Old 01-25-09, 11:44 AM   #5
Higgy
The Gardener

Well I won't be going up there any time soon, so it'll have to wait till the summer time.

But I think there's only about 12" of cellulose. Should probably get them to blow in another 12" and build it up.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 07:29 AM   #6
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Higgy, I wouldn't be too worried about what I saw on your roof. I don't see any ice, which would be a telltale sign of snow melt and lots of heat loss. Lack of snow is probably from wind, mine gets that way in places. My unheated barn has snow missing in places similar to my house, and I know the barn isn't melting it off from heat loss. So compare snow cover on your home to unheated buildings in your area . The pic below is of my in-laws house and is typical of older houses in the area. There is surely heat being lost thru that roof .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	icedam.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	74  
Old 01-26-09, 07:34 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

WOW, thats bad!

You make a very good point about the ice build up jwxr7. I can't see any on Hig's house.

&
Old 01-26-09, 07:38 AM   #8
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Well I won't be going up there any time soon, so it'll have to wait till the summer time.

But I think there's only about 12" of cellulose. Should probably get them to blow in another 12" and build it up.
That may be more than I have.
I need to check the thickness of mine, I have a bunch of bags of cellulose up there that I've been meaning to toss around. A guy at work tore open some walls in his new construction house and bagged up the insulation. He didn't want to reuse it, so I took it thinking I could add it to my attic. It would be neat to somehow convert a shop vac or something so it could blow that stuff around . Anybody have ideas or experience with DIY blower for insulation?
Old 01-26-09, 07:41 AM   #9
Daox
Administrator

I would think as long as you can prechop it up, funneling it into a shop vac would work just fine. Probably won't be nearly as powerful as a full industrial blower, but worth a shot. Should start a new thread on this and see if others have any ideas.

&
Old 01-26-09, 07:42 AM   #10
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm going to try getting some shots of extreme cases of heat loss in my area and post them here.