EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-09, 08:33 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default preventing infiltration/convection - old semi used chimney

I have a chimney in my house. However, it was chopped off when the roof was redone shortly before I bought the house. This provides a great way to loose heat through the winter as it runs the length of the two stories and is not capped off in the attic. My problem is that the water heater vent pipe is run up the chimney. I'm sure it gets warm (not sure how warm) when the heater is running. How can I seal/cap the chimney in the attic to stop it from channeling all my heat out of the house? Almost all insulation isn't made to be used next to something that gets hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 12:23 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

A little more searching on my part found this energy star document on sealing your house. It is quite informative and has nice pictures too.

The pictures below really aren't hard to follow. Looks like I need to get some high temp silicon caulk.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flue_seal_1.JPG
Views:	1208
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	319   Click image for larger version

Name:	flue_seal_2.JPG
Views:	1189
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	320   Click image for larger version

Name:	flue_seal_3.JPG
Views:	1188
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	321  

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chimney, insulate, seal