EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-08, 12:31 PM   #21
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

When I was walking through Lowe's last night I saw what appeared to be one of these sitting in the insulation aisle. It would make sense for them to have one for rental.

cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 10:17 AM   #22
toyobug
avid DIY'r

sounds like a good deal. Something for me to check into.
toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 04:53 PM   #23
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Daox,

You and I are in the middle of the same project, just different houses. But, I found out that not all blow-in Cellulose insulation is the same. Google: 'cellulose insulation ammonium sulfate' and you'll see what the issue is. Unfortunately, Greenfiber cellulose insulation has ammonium sulfate as a treatment - http://greenfiber.com/_assets/PDFs/MS-6.4-043.pdf.

From what I have read and heard, a borate or boric-acid only cellulose insulation is the better product. Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone locally who will sell it to a homeowner.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:32 PM   #24
Daox
Administrator

Thanks Tim, thats good to know. I'm actually planning on buying a different brand from a more local chain. I don't know the exact name, but I'll look into it. Its also way cheaper. Its currently on sale for $3.65 per bag (same size bag as GreenFiber).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 03:06 PM   #25
Daox
Administrator

The saga continues. Today I picked up the cellulose, all 50 bags of it. It honestly took up a lot less room than I thought it would. I have it stacked in my garage atm while I get the attic prepped for blowing it in.

It turns out this stuff is made fairly locally, which explains the great price ($3.65 on sale and $3.99 normally vs Menards and Homedepot's $6.50 for GreenFiber).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house373.jpg
Views:	2476
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	44   Click image for larger version

Name:	house375.jpg
Views:	2131
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	45  

&

Last edited by Daox; 12-06-08 at 05:27 PM..
Old 12-06-08, 05:32 PM   #26
Daox
Administrator

I'll also mention my cousin built a raised platform to retain at least some storage after the cellulose is blown in. It is large enough for about two 4x8 sheets of plywood. We're not planning on using it for much but decided now was a good time to do this instead of finding out we need it later.

My next step is going through the attic, putting the fiberglass insulation back down in areas. Right now I have two piles of fiberglass on each end of the attic that was placed randomly around the attic.

I also have to build a barrier and insulated cover for the attic access to minimize heat loss through the access. This will be made of polystyrene. I think I'm also gonna need to put something above the polyiso insulation as it may not be tall enough to hold back the cellulose after its all blown in. I'll probably just staple in some cardboard or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house385.jpg
Views:	26337
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	46  

&
Old 12-08-08, 07:32 PM   #27
larryrose11
Efficency nerd

Daox,
Don't forgert to seal up all the wall headders and other penetrations with GreatStuff.

Also, I read a good article a bit back about reading a roof after it snows. Here is the link Home Energy Magazine Online
The web site is a treasure of information. Here is the front end of the site. Look for the DIY tab:
Home Energy Magazine Online
larryrose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 02:34 PM   #28
Higgy
The Gardener

That's a great site Larry. I totally didn't know that. That makes me wonder big time, cause a lot of the homes around my place don't have a lot of snow on the roof, even in the winter. That scares me cause I'm wondering just how much heat I'm losing. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on that this winter. We have icicles coming off our roof usually in spring time only when the snow is melting off the roof and then we have a cold day the next day. That's the only time it happens but that should be normal right?

Thanks for that site.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 02:55 PM   #29
Daox
Administrator

Thanks Larry. I have read that article before and its amazing how bad some houses are! I have gone through and sealed pretty much everything. I think there are two more fixture holes that I'll need to get at. Thankfully, all the wall headers are plastered over, so they are already sealed.

&
Old 12-11-08, 06:08 AM   #30
larryrose11
Efficency nerd

Higgy,
The only place we did have icicles on our house (before the complete exterior remodel ) were on the aluminum overhangs, no place else.

We used to get some snow melt at our eves, but the external remodel took care of that. This remodel , as far as the eves are concerned, included spray foam at external wall headers holding ventilation channels (0.5'' inch by 24'') in place in the eves, to about 5" thick. Being an efficiency nerd and having a very shallow 3:1 pitch roof, having ONLY 5 inch of cellulose (total R value of 3.5*5"=17.5) was not nearly enough. So, I made polly-iso foam blocks, 5"thick (R = 6.5*5'' = 32.5), 24" deep block to fit in between the studs, and packed the rest with cellulose. I calculated that the addition of the foam blocks reduces heat loss to the attic by 20%, which is why I went overboard.
More about this is back on the EcoModder site, Attic insulation - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

larryrose11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic, insulation, seal