EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-11, 03:08 PM   #11
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

My average daily energy usage is ~4 kWh, averaged over the last year is 3.99kWh/day, actually. In the summer it's about 3.4, in the winter 4.6.

Hot water is on-demand nat gas, as is the boiler and stove. Electric oven, toaster oven, kettle. CFLs and halogen lightbulbs. Very efficient refrigerator (~700Wh/day). Electric lawn mower (~700Wh per mow), and 700W engine warmer in my car (used for 5-10h per month). I turn off phantom loads whereever and whenever possible. Unfortunately I have no chance to reduce electrical usage any further - this would require Dad-in-law's cooperation, and he's already ecoterrorized by us as it is. The big 170 watt LCD in the TV room was his idea, as was the driveway gate's motor, which sucks 32W 24/7 (I turn off its circuit breaker when both cars are at home).

We have plans, which keep getting put off, to replace the two on-demand gassers with an electric hot water tank (with optional future solar/heat pump).

For now, winter gas usage is equivalent to 80-150 kWh/day, while summer is only ~5 for cooking and hot water.

Old 10-01-11, 06:13 PM   #12
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We averaged 7.117 kWh/day over the last year.

We have a gas furnace, gas water heater, and gas oven and range. All other major appliances are electric including clothes washer and dryer (line dry most clothes spring - fall), fridge, microwave and evaporative cooler. Almost all lights are CFL or LED. I work from home and have a PC on for 10+ hours/day (off overnight).

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 06:58 PM   #13
WD-40
Lurking Renovator

I have been working on getting my #'s down ..
avg electricity daily for the last 12 months 7.83 kWh
avg gas monthly for the last 12 months is 2.14 GJ
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...html#post16325
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 11:01 PM   #14
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

Wow! Some of you are doing great!

My most recent bill was from July 12/11 to September 09/11...total usage was 1,050 kWh, which averages to 17.5 kWh/day. Household had two adults and four teens. Electric devices were stove, laptops and routers and one desk top PC, washer, gas drier, and A/C for a few days when my wife had to decorate three different wedding cakes and three birthday cakes.

I daily turn off phantom loads whenever I can.

The worst bill for the year was Dec./Jan at 1591 kWh for the two months. The drastic rise was due mostly to an oil-filled heater in the basement bedroom.
My house is similar to Xringer at under 1000 sq.ft.
Old 10-12-11, 01:33 PM   #15
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Both hotwater tank and hydronic in-floor heating are on natural gas, my needs for electricity for cooking and general activities in a 2100sqft, 4 bedroom config with comptuers, PVRs, washing and drier, etc. averages around 11kW/hr per day.

As summer comes to an end and me being somewhat reluctant in firing up the radiant floor heating (takes too long to warm up the house), I'm resort to using electric oil heater to warm up bedrooms during the night....dunno how much electricity I'm going through yet (our area electricity billing is done every 2 months).

Q.

BTW: approx 683kW/hr over the course of past 62 days...works out to approx. 11kW/hr per day for a family of 4

recently: we have smart meter installed in our region. Not relevant but as I also tried signing up as part of the efficient home energy program with our local utility company, I relalise that I'm already waaaay ahead of the game in terms of electricity usage (all my household lighting are on CFLs already, with LEDs on the way), and cannot make any further (significant) cuts to my utility bill to further quality for their rebates.....sigh..

Last edited by Quest; 10-12-11 at 01:41 PM..
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 01:41 PM   #16
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
BTW: approx 68kW/hr over the course of past 62 days...works out to approx. 1.1kW/hr per day for a family of 4
Wait a minute! 1.1 kWh per day? That's insane! Do you not have a refrigerator? Or are you on solar?
Old 10-12-11, 01:52 PM   #17
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I guess I'll represent the ugly end of the spectrum. My 5-year average is 64 kWh / day.

The house is all electric - cooking, water heater, heating / cooling. Family of 5, 2400 sq ft single-story with a crawl space underneath.

The heat/AC is more than 2/3 of the total - the daily rate ranges from below 20 kWh / day in mild weather to over 100 kWh in winter and summer. The new high-efficiency AC should knock off about a third of that, or a quarter of the total.

Anyone have a good way to measure consumption on the high-voltage circuits? I have a kill-a-watt, but that only helps with the small stuff. It's useless for any of the major power users.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 02:04 PM   #18
Daox
Administrator

I have a TED 5000 series and I really like it. The downside is definitely the cost though.

64 kWh/day isn't too bad if that is everything. My 3 year average as of last month was 74 kWh/day (converting gas to kWh), and for 2 out of the 3 years it has only been me and my wife there. By far most of that is our heating needs. In summer (no A/C, except fans) we run high teens kWh/day (including gas), but in winter its gets up to 130 kWh/day (including gas).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 09:51 AM   #19
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Wait a minute! 1.1 kWh per day? That's insane! Do you not have a refrigerator? Or are you on solar?

Sorry Piwoslaw: I made a typing mistake: it should be approx 683kW/hr for 62 days, works out to approx 11kW/hr per day.

A few mins after I sent out the posting, I edited it..

*sorry*

Q.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 03:27 PM   #20
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I just received my bill and my usage is down to 8.2kw a day thats about half what it was.

Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote