EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-12, 02:54 PM   #1
S-F
You Ain't Me

Default automated gong?

So I just tore a wall in my house in half and it just so happens that the doorbell chime was on the part that got trashed. I was looking at the options for doorbell chimes and am unimpressed so I got the great idea to build my own. I started by looking for chimes that I could hang when I ran across gongs. That's right folks. I'm thinking about having my doorbell sound a gong. I found some nice ones on Amazon and I figure I can just hang it on the wall. The only problem now is how to hammer it? I know not so much about electronics but I imagine that there is a motor of some kind that can get enough force to swing a gong hammer. I would hang the gong about 4" away from the wall so the hammer wouldn't have too far to travel. It could be powered by 120v and I could use a relay from the 16v that my doorbell system uses. Or.... I don't know what else.
I'm thinking about this gong.

There are a bunch of creative folks here so I thought I'd toss this out and see what bites.

Any ideas?

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 03:30 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Grab a $5 automotive power door lock actuator off ebay. You'll have to install a spring so it automatically retracts, but 16V on a switch would smash that gong pretty good. Put different tips on the actuator to tweak the sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 03:58 PM   #3
S-F
You Ain't Me

Not a bad idea. Making it retract might be an issue though,

My friend sent me a link to this site which is apparently all about solenoids. I just don't know how powerful and fast the action of them is.

EDIT:

Daox, A thought just came to as to why not. AC vs. DC. Oops. Good idea though.

Last edited by S-F; 02-07-12 at 05:51 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 05:24 PM   #4
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Not sure how much force you need to get a good sound, but my first thought is to use a basic doorbell. My basic bell is just two little solenoids, that when the button is pressed, jump a quarter inch and strike the chime plate. if this was mounted where it struck your gong instead, it might be enough to sound it.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:51 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

My door bell is pretty basic and the solenoid that hits the chime is just a simple electro magnet with a steel rod that gets pulled to the center and a wood tip hits the chime, I've made solenoids like that before with small copper wire wrapped around a drinking straw and a chunk of nail, use a weak spring to return it.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:11 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Not a bad idea. Making it retract might be an issue though,

My friend sent me a link to this site which is apparently all about solenoids. I just don't know how powerful and fast the action of them is.

EDIT:

Daox, A thought just came to as to why not. AC vs. DC. Oops. Good idea though.

You could rectify the AC power with a couple diodes.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote