EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-09, 10:57 PM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Computer Desk DIY Project

Ok, so after reading a post SVOBoy put up (thanks again for that btw) about DIY project I new I had to do something. It was all about cable management on my computer desk.

So here's what I started out with. The cables were everywhere and it was making me go nuts...I'm anal and I like organization. So I went out searching for something I could attach to the desk to organize all the cables.

So I started off by cutting holes into the desk so that wires weren't hanging over the side. Once I cut the holes I sanded them down so no one would get slivers or anything. The desk is cheap so I didn't care that I was cutting into it. The bigger hole was for the monitor, speaker, mouse and keyboard cables. The smaller hole was just for the printer.

I also cut one into the side so that it could go from the computer cubby, to where the cables would lay...again so cables weren't strewn about.

I found a wired shelving piece for 6 bucks, measured how much I needed and just cut off the part that I didn't need. Then I attached it to the desk and...voila, a cable management rack is born.

I then put everything back together and ran all the lines through. I used velcro for some extra management as well.

Much better.

Looks better, feels better. This is what you end up with if you are an anal network admin like me...

Nothing too fantastic, but really...computer table manufacturers should be just making the desks this way so that you don't have crap everywhere.

Anyway, that...along with cleaning up my tools and what not in the basement, was my Chrismas/New Years project.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:27 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Looks great! Glad I could inspire you,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:24 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Looks a heck of a lot better. Nice job Hig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 09:56 AM   #4
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

good job. my entertainment center needs that kind of help.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 11:42 AM   #5
Doofus McFancypants
Helper EcoRenovator

same here - great job.
I have some of that wire shelfing waiting to be "reused" this may be the use for it.

steve