EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-09, 12:11 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default time for a new dishwasher

Well, its time for a new dishwasher for me. My ~2 year old LG is just a complete POS and I refuse to put money into a company that has stuff fail this quickly (my LG fridge is also taking a dump it seems). Its been leaking for a while now, and it just developed a motor whine. The leak could be fixed by replacing the entire inner door, but that is not going to happen. I have no idea what the motor thing is but I'm not going to bother finding out.

So, if you guys know anything about dishwashers please let me know asap. I made somewhat of an impulse purchase since I was so fed up with my old one, and I have one on order already.

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 03:22 PM   #2
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I would say check out the Consumer Reports reliability/repair ratings over the past 5 years (the local Library should have the annual guide). Find which brand(s) have the best overall reliability ratings, then find the model with the lowest energy usage that fits your budget.

But, since you've already ordered one, what did you get?

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 04:02 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

After talking with a couple repair guys, they recommended going with Amana or Whirlpool as far as reliability goes. This is the kitchenaid (made by Amana) I have on order currently.

KitchenAidŽ: Welcome to KitchenAid.com

I also noticed while going through the store, the cheaper models actually used much less energy according to the energy star tag. After a little thought and observation, I found this was because the higher end models have a heating element vs the cheaper ones don't. However, with the higher end models you can turn off the heating element and retain the efficiency of the cheaper models. So, that is at least one thing that makes it hard to compare efficiency.
Old 08-05-09, 01:18 AM   #4
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
After talking with a couple repair guys, they recommended going with Amana or Whirlpool as far as reliability goes. This is the kitchenaid (made by Amana) I have on order currently.
My dad is an appliance salesman for a major chain of stores and he highly recomends those as well. Very good for the money.

I like the bosh and electrolux units that have 2 drawers so you can wash a few dishes with less water rather than running it for a whole load.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 08:35 AM   #5
Higgy
The Gardener

Oooo...now I know who to talk to next time I need to by appliances.

And Daox....I don't like the look of it...take it back.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-09, 08:26 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I installed the new dishwasher last night. This was really easy to do, and even easier had I known that the new dishwasher doesn't come with a water inlet line and electrical wire. I had removed those with the old dishwasher and had to go remove them from that dishwasher and hook them back up before I could get the new one installed. Other than that, its very straight forward.

Here are some pics of the process.

The new dishwasher, yay.

The dishwasher cubby hole.

Yay, manuals printed on recycled paper. The energy guide rating rates the unit as being used with the heated dry cycle on which is quite misleading since I'll probably never use it. It also assumes you run the washer 4 times a week which seems a bit much.

The mess under the sink. I don't know why they didn't put the electrical panel to the left side of all the plumbing. It would have made things a lot easier. Ah well, foresight and 20/20 I guess.

Getting stuff hooked up. Drain line installed. I had to go get the water inlet line and electrical wire off the other dishwasher at this point.

This is the water inlet port. Thankfully the old dishwasher has the same fitting as the new one. I was able to reuse the 90 degree fitting and braided steel water line.

All that was left to be hooked up was electrical and that was really simple. White to white, black to black, ground to ground. After that you level the unit in place and you're done.