Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-25-12, 03:07 PM   #111
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default My judgment was blinded !!

Hey it's making the news in the UK..

Peter Gleick on leave from Pacific Institute over Heartland leak
Climate scientist on temporary leave of absence while investigated over leak of Heartland Institute documents

Peter Gleick on leave from Pacific Institute over Heartland leak | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Peter Gleick said: 'My judgment was blinded by my frustration with the ongoing efforts to attack climate science'. Photograph: Paul Chinn/The Chronicle

Maybe he needs new glasses??

Old 02-25-12, 03:28 PM   #112
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Why do some of those photos look so Photo-Shopped??
that's cryosphere today data! why dont you read it, hmm probably because youve formed your opinion without studying the topic?

Polar Sea Ice Cap and Snow - Cryosphere Today

even with clear data IN YOUR FACE you must not deny your republican lie. very sheeple cult of you.

Last edited by Solar; 02-25-12 at 03:31 PM..
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 08:14 PM   #113
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

Icelights: Your Burning Questions About Ice & Climate

Climate Change: Evidence

Climate Monitoring

Global Warming Facts and Figures | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 10:15 PM   #114
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
Who is this "We" that you are referring to? Surely it's not Democrats and liberals. All they've been doing is focusing on individuals.
By "We" I mean every American except for the greedy money grubbers! In the 50s, the top tax rate was around 90%. Now it's about a third of that. Similarly corporate taxes are a fraction now of what they once were.

We have billionaires like Warren Buffet asking for tax increases because as successful investors they understand that too much money and power in the hands of too few isn't good for an economy in the long run.

Quote:
Corporations DON'T PAY TAXES, people pay taxes. This has long been known by very many people which is why there hasn't been an uproar about corporate taxes coming down and yet the US corporate tax rate is almost the highest in the Western World:

Corporations don't pay taxes, yet the U.S. has the highest corporate tax rate in the world? Put down the bong you tree hugging hippie! Corporations pay taxes. They used to pay more taxes in the past, but thanks to tax breaks they don't pay nearly as much as they used. In fact, the United States has some of the lowest effective corporate tax rates. The difference between statutory and effective tax rates is naturally tax breaks, so even if statutory rates are high, effective rates are low due to tax breaks in the tax code.

Quote:
When guys like you, relics of the past, advocate that the corporate tax rate be increased the real world consequences fall on the investor class and the 800 lb gorilla in the investor class are retirement accounts.
I know, wouldn't it be awful if corporations and the wealthy payed the same tax rates that my grandparents generation, those relics of the past, paid? I mean, sure, they didn't do much, just won WWII, but jeeze it sure would be awful if we ended up paying the same corporate/income tax rates that those relics did.

Quote:
The ripple effect works like this - higher corporate taxes paid means a.) less stock price growth because stocks are priced at multiples of earnings, and b.) less dividends paid.
Yeah, cuz we all know the stock market does a great job of valuation...

Quote:
When you increase the tax on an activity you will get less of that activity.
I know, huh. Wouldn't it be terrible if we had fewer oil spills and refinery accidents? If there was better competition then we wouldn't need to tax corporations, because their profits would be much more reasonable, but as it stands corporations have become the best vehicle for a few greedy money grubbers, and this unfortunately ruins it for everyone.

Quote:
I don't know what to say here, this is such a bizarre statement that is so divorced from reality that you're either completely ignorant about what you're writing, you're engaging in wish fulfillment or you're on something.

The spending problems the US faces ARE NOT fixable by your band-aid measures. The US could implement everything you suggest and because you are working with static modeling rather than dynamic modeling, none of your predictions on outcome will have any resemblance to what will really happen. The US doesn't have a revenue shortfall problem - look at your corporate tax rates with respect to the rest of the Western World, you're just a tad below Japan's and everyone else is below your rate. Now you're suggesting that the rate be increased even further?
I don't know what to say here, this is such a bizarre statement that is so divorced from reality that you're either completely ignorant about what you're writing, you're engaging in wish fulfillment or you're on something.

The spending problems the US faces ARE fixable by the same tax measures that our grandparents used. The US could simply implement the same tax code that was present in the past a greatly increase revenue. The US has a revenue shortfall problem - the tax revenue as a percentage of GDP is about twenty five percent less than it was with Ronald Regan. Granted, the U.S. also has a defense spending problem, but that doesn't someone invalidate it's revenue problem.
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 10:55 PM   #115
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

"The spending problems the US faces ARE fixable by the same tax measures that
our grandparents used. The US could simply implement the same tax code that
was present in the past a greatly increase revenue. "

Since it appears that it will soon be possible to be long-term unemployed,
and receive 'free' cash & befits that are almost equal to what the average worker receives (for his labor), (Excluding government workers).

Won't extra high taxes drop the worker's paychecks to a level,
where they can no longer afford not to go on the dole??

Why work, when you can make more money by being long-term unemployed??
Old 02-28-12, 10:59 PM   #116
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
By "We" I mean every American except for the greedy money grubbers!
You're not a money grubber? Please share with us how much money you sent to the IRS that was above and beyond your legal tax liability. If you're not grubbing for money and you believe that the government should have more money to spend, well then, how much extra did you send them? If you didn't volunteer to give away your money then why are you expecting others to do what you won't.

Do as I say, not as I do. Right?

Quote:
In the 50s, the top tax rate was around 90%. Now it's about a third of that.
Is is really asking so much to expect those who are pronouncing on matters of tax policy know what the heck they're writing about and to anchor their propositions in the real world.

If you increase the tax rate on an activity you will get less of that activity. This applies to income taxes as well. Here is data from the 1950s to present. Observe what happens to federal income tax revenue as a share of the economy:

Secondly, part of the tax reform legislation back in the 1980s was a quid pro quo - cuts tax rates BUT ALSO CUT ALLOWABLE DEDUCTIONS.

NO ONE paid a full 90% marginal tax rate. No one. Anyone who was earning enough to fall into the top category reduced his marginal tax rate down to the 20%-40% range by selecting from a cafeteria chock full of applicable tax deductions.

Quote:
We have billionaires like Warren Buffet asking for tax increases because as successful investors they understand that too much money and power in the hands of too few isn't good for an economy in the long run.
Buffett does this for the same reason that Wal-Mart picks and chooses aspects of expansionist government to support - it works to their advantages and harms their competitors. Wal-Mart, being a huge corporation, is better equipped to handle regulatory burdens imposed on it by government which when directed at smaller businesses impose a greater cost, thus lowering their efficiency and profitability.

The same thing with Buffet. His secretary pays a higher tax rate than Warren himself because his Secretary EARNS MORE INCOME AS SALARY than does Warren Buffett. Warren pays her about $200,000 per year in salary. Warren pays himself only $100,000 per year in salary. He purposely keeps his salary low and keeps growing his wealth either tax free or when he does incur a tax liability that liability is taxed at capital gains rates.

If Warren really wanted to play "fair" there is NOTHING stopping him from tallying up the wealth he creates every year and taking that wealth in the form of salary income and then paying the full tax rate plus the full social security and medicare taxes on that income. You do realize that there are regular working people who pay more in FICA taxes than Warren for the income cap is set at $110,100 in 2012. Warren's salary income of $100,000 per year means that he could be paying more into social security but he choose not to.

When Warren speaks he does it to benefit himself, not the nation. If Warren was concerned about the nation's finances he wouldn't be taking advantage of "loopholes" to defer paying $37 billion in taxes already owed to the IRS.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 05:04 PM   #117
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
"The spending problems the US faces ARE fixable by the same tax measures that
our grandparents used. The US could simply implement the same tax code that
was present in the past a greatly increase revenue. "

Since it appears that it will soon be possible to be long-term unemployed,
and receive 'free' cash & befits that are almost equal to what the average worker receives (for his labor), (Excluding government workers).

Won't extra high taxes drop the worker's paychecks to a level,
where they can no longer afford not to go on the dole??

Why work, when you can make more money by being long-term unemployed??
people on food stamps are out of shape moronic loosers maybe 15% of the time, these clowns should be weeded out, I am on food stamps for the first month now for the first time ever because my job ripped me off alot of cash, I do agree these people should be made to pick up trash across the city, or something, if you're getting free housing. When you're in need because the government has failed you, such as my case, by causing the recession, I see no problem collecting money from them. However, if you are going to become a fatass, and do nothing to care for yourself other than go on disability cause your too fat, well thats where we should take a look at things, all this other crap about not wanting to work isn't true, the jobs out there are for slaves. so please spare me the work vs not work garbage, I couldve started a $10 an hour job, but I refuse, and instead hold out for the $20 an hour job, which I got, plus I just got into a union. so let leave it at that, boyyyy

hell even the crazies on disability, like a friend of mine, should be given SOME work to do, before he gets that check every month, 2, 8 hour days of landscaping, anything, though what is a few hundred dollars a month when you gave giant corporations huge tax breaks? that makes that check look like pennies.

honestly all this money talk makes me just want to be a commie!

heres a joke

read?

How do you ruin a neighborhood?

Build a 711!

Last edited by Solar; 02-29-12 at 05:12 PM..
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 05:45 PM   #118
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
honestly all this money talk makes me just want to be a commie!
Hey, I hear that North Korea is heaven on earth. Buy a plane ticket, pack up your solar gear, and go and evangelize over there. You'll be happier living in a communist heaven and they'll get all the benefit of your enlightened beliefs about solar energy.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 05:49 PM   #119
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

"When you're in need because the government has failed you, such as my case,
by causing the recession, I see no problem collecting money from them."

If you have been working for a few years and paid state + federal + FICA +
unemployment bucks have been going into the state,
then you should be able to collect some of that money back during hard times.
At least as much as you put into the system.. + interest..

I'm collecting SS checks, because I paid into SS starting in 1963..
I'm 66 and 95% retired, but I still pay fed&state taxes, FICA/SS & etc every time I earn a buck..
Or take a buck out of my IRA or 401K.
Heck I have to pay taxes on the lowly interest that I make on my savings account..

I have a problem with 50% of the population not paying any taxes at all..

I also have a problem with state 'workers' faking injuries and getting free cash for the rest of their life..

I think it would be a real good idea to pay rewards to people who ratted out the scammers..
Old 02-29-12, 05:50 PM   #120
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Hey, I hear that North Korea is heaven on earth. Buy a plane ticket, pack up your solar gear, and go and evangelize over there. You'll be happier living in a communist heaven and they'll get all the benefit of your enlightened beliefs about solar energy.
No! It's much warmer in Cuba this time of year..