EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-18, 07:51 PM   #251
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It doesn't surprise me. With dropping the other models they cant keep it going on its own. But they are following in the footsteps of Ford in dropping small cars. If the line isn't profitable you drop it.
Most are shifting to taller cars (SUVs) for a number of reasons like they are easier to get in and out of instead of having to crawl out of a low to the ground car. Any time I get in a rental car I curse myself for going with the cheap car instead of an SUV. Its just the shift of the market.

I'm interested in the Rivian. Really good specs but what will the price be and will they be like tesla and apple where you cant buy parts or repair it.

Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 10:27 PM   #252
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My 2018 volt has 21,686 total miles 18,206 EV miles. 84% EV
Total gas miles 3,480.
We still really like the Gen 2 Volt it is a really great car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vOLT.JPG
Views:	1192
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8642  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-19, 01:01 PM   #253
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Our lake place it 55 miles away. It was 92 degrees today I used the AC to keep it nice in cool in the car. Part of the trip is interstate driving set the cruse control to 68 MPH.
I went the whole way on EV power 55 miles and had 2-4 miles range left over. I also made the trip out there EV only.

Very nice to be able use no gas on this trip.
We are very happy with our car.
We have 18,694 EV miles so far.
We have 3,663 gas miles so far and are getting closer to our first oil change.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-19-19)
Old 12-10-19, 10:02 AM   #254
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This is why we really like our Volt.
We are at 79% EV use.

But this month we had trips to a couple trips past Columbia South Carolina. Then trip to Asheville North Carolina.
No problem at all once the EV mile ran out we still got excellent gas mileage. You don’t have to preplan you just go.

This month we were just 56% EV
EV miles 708 Gas miles 702 miles.

Some months we only use a few gas miles.
Over a year in with Gen2 Volt and it is the best car we have ever owned. It is not been back to the Chevy once for anything and I have only rotated tires and done one oil change.

We have
22,740 EV miles
5,973 Gas miles
28,713 Total miles

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-10-19, 12:36 PM   #255
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'd like to see how the Prius Prime plays out in a number of years in the used market. The Volt forum posts of issues with the temperature sensors in the battery pack, reduced propulsion power, and the coolant level sensor requiring a dealership visit instead of a customer fix is feeling all-too-Tesla to me for the Volt. It seems Toyota has been getting it right with overall reliablility and I think their lithium pack and higher MPG for cross countries is where I want to be. The Prime is ugly, which is unfortunate, but I'm not sure I care. It's efficiency is unbeatable for something with a back seat that can run on regular unleaded.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-19, 02:40 PM   #256
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The prime would not work for me 25 EV miles not near enough. It my work for others.

I will take the Volt 53 EV mile range any day of the week. Even with 53 EV miles we are still only at 80% EV miles.

I have not been on the Volt forum much lately I will have to check it out. the coolant level you can just add coolant and reset the code with ODBII and your cell phone just like I did with my Gen1 Volt.
Some of the Gen1 did not get burped at factory so I only had to add coolant once.

The other weekend they had a 40% off sale at the LQK junk yard I picked up a donut spare tire from a 2018 Chevy Curse. This spare will fit my 2018 Volt. I tried to get the jack but it was missing. I ordered from eBay the jack kit for a Chevy Cruse now I can keep that in my Volt. Only 2017-2019 Chevy Cruse will fit and junk yards know this and have jacked up the prices.

I have a full size spare tire but when we take trips it takes up to much room.
It will be nice to have the small spare. It weights much less than a full size tire.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-10-19 at 06:08 PM..
Old 12-15-20, 10:55 AM   #257
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have now traveled 107,000 EV miles between our two Chevy Volts.
We are 81% EV so far on our 2018 Volt.

We really like our car and they discontinued it (very sad) so we decided to buy extended warrenty on it. I usually don’t buy extended warrenty but Volts can be very expensive to repair.

I got it before the factory warrenty expired that saves lots of money. I bought it from a dealer that deeply discounts extended warrantees.
It is the same GM warrenty no matter what dealer you buy it from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volt2018.JPG
Views:	954
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	9125  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-15-20 at 10:13 PM..
Old 12-16-20, 09:01 PM   #258
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
We really like our car and they discontinued it (very sad) so we decided to buy extended warrenty on it. I usually don’t buy extended warrenty but Volts can be very expensive to repair.

I got it before the factory warrenty expired that saves lots of money. I bought it from a dealer that deeply discounts extended warrantees.
It is the same GM warrenty no matter what dealer you buy it from.
Extended warranties are expensive, run out, and are only valuable for cars that are unreliable. This is a major reason why I'd prefer the Toyota. Sure you want more of your miles to be EV, but you throw away those savings on increased repair and warranty costs associated with owning a GM product. The Toyota operates cheaper by being a more efficient car when operating off in EV and gas modes and the current gas prices make the range difference a wash. Depends on how you drive though, I drive multiple long road trips(this year excluded), so an extra 28 miles of EV range doesn't matter on a 3600 mile trip with no realistic charge opportunities during the trip, I'll take the extra MPG and reliability.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 09:57 PM   #259
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My car has over 37k miles and had not been to the dealership once. Not one issue at all.
Volt gets over 50 EV miles and like 42 MPG on hwy with gas.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-17-20 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-23-20, 08:41 PM   #260
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

I used to work for a company and our company car was a Volt. They are sportier inside than I imagined, I thought it was very sharp. Handled well too.I wouldn't mind owning one at all!

Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote