EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-14, 04:54 PM   #1
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Radiant cooling and heating.

I looked online and found a few things on cooling. Ive got a few old water wells that has good water in them just sitting there dormant. I have gave thought sense the water is a constant 65 degrees year round runnin it through the floors year round to keep the house around the same temp. But not knowing weather it would work or not has held me back

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 06:26 PM   #2
jfweaver
Lurking Renovator

If you ran the water through a radiator with a fan blowing through it you could get some cooling.
jfweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 06:41 PM   #3
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Ive gave that some thought to . The 65 degree water. Way ive thought durin the winter it would also give a little heat. and summer give me some coolin ?
Old 01-30-14, 06:03 AM   #4
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Had a old pipe from a unused well i just stuck the thermo gun in it a little read in the 50s and snow was all over the ground and its a real shallow well.
Old 01-30-14, 07:06 AM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

If you have multiple wells just sitting around, why not try a pump and dump setup? Pump the water from the wells and dump it in a pond or yard. You basically have an endless supply of constant-temperature heat transfer fluid for a water source unit. Since your water table is high, it would take little electricity to pump the water.

You could make a proof-of-concept prototype out of a dirt-cheap window air conditioner. No brazing or elaborate copper work is needed. Basically, you enclose whichever coil you're not going to use and pump water through it. Disconnect the fan that originally pumped air through that side. Easy, breezy afternoon hobby project. A sample finished prototype done by a teenager looks like this:

\

Obviously, this one is not finished yet. It is rigged for heating mode and is only 5000 btu capacity. The builder made it to liquid cool his computer to below freezing temperature, and it worked well for him. Supplying this thing 50-60 degree well water would actually provide you more heat than any 110VAC space heater. That is, unless it runs off of another fuel(propane, kerosene, etc.)

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-30-14 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 07:27 AM   #6
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Ive never thought of something like that. I seen 4 acs on craigslist the other day for dirt cheap. Dont know if they have the reverse cycle thing though.That would prob be easier than brazing Prob lot more efficient than just running the water under the house would be yea the water table is pretty high here . 9 ft in some places constant table is 16 or 14 still high and its nothing to put down 2 or three in series if i needed more flow.
Old 01-30-14, 08:09 AM   #7
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

A builder in the above post finished his unit like this:

Original thread:
First Chiller - EXTREME Overclocking Forums

With this type of unit, you don't have to worry about reversing the cycle. The units are made to only provide either heating or cooling on the air side. If you want both, you build 2 units. Due to the low cost of abundantly available used window a/c units and rubbermaid coolers, they are very economical. The most difficult part of building one is fitting the heat exchanger and copper tubing inside the water vessel without creating a leak (refrigerant or water).

The main difference in the mechanical design is the water flow. The "computer coolers" use a constant volume of water and a small mag-drive pump to recirculate their water. In a pump and dump rig, you would use a valve to control incoming ground water and an overflow tube like a toilet tank. With a cooling unit, you must also devise a way to drain the weeping evaporator.

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-30-14 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: descriptioning
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 10:02 AM   #8
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I know most recomend a 1.5 gpm to 2 gpm per ton of water for geothermal on the open loop pump and dump . Would that be about the same if i was to do that ? Im sure i could do that or even build a box with a rubber inside to probably