EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-13, 02:08 AM   #1
Blue Bomber Man
Lurking Renovator

Default Mini Project: Insulating an interior wall adjacent to an attic

I've started work on my first conservation project, insulating a wall that is adjacent to the master bedroom and the attic.

The wall was not fully insulated (the attic side) and since it was so accessible I decided it was a nice place to start.

Looking at the bottom image, you can see some shelving that connects to the bedroom wall. I have cut that back to allow easier access to the other side of the attic (normally that space is storage for one of my tenants). The roof continues downwards for most of the length of the master bedroom.

Upon cutting back the shelving I was pleasantly surprised to see the rest insulated with R13 batt insulation in the 2x4 bays. Coupled with the small roll of batt insulation that was left behind from the previous owner I was able to return two bundles back to Home Depot ($$$).

I have finished insulating with batt insulation and am now placing 2" foil backed insulation (R12.2) over the entire wall. The seams of the insulation will be foil taped, and miscellaneous areas will be spray foamed where needed (wire penetrations etc). Will upload more photos soon depicting that progress.

My father suggests that I remove the paperback off the existing batt insulation so I don't create a double vapor barrier with the poly, any thoughts on this?

Also looking for various ideas on creating a air tight seal for the door, have a few ideas with the foam board, involving hook and eyes and a compressible weather seal or perhaps magnetic tape, any ideas?

Hopefully when all is done, the wall will be ~R25 with minimal thermal bridging and will reduce air draft as well.

Blue Bomber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 08:38 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a nice project. A few more pictures would be helpful. You do not want a double vapor barrier. If you get moisture between them (and its pretty impossible not to) you will get mold.

As for the door I would just use some stick on weather stripping stuff and then a nice rubber door sweep to seal it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 10:24 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Have there been any updates on this project?

&
Old 10-09-13, 02:39 PM   #4
Blue Bomber Man
Lurking Renovator

The project is essentially done, I just have a small spot I want to caulk and spray foam to help with the air seal. Been quite busy lately, about to replace the entire septic system =(

I will be very grateful when it is done.

Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to do a follow post about the project to finish the thread up.
Blue Bomber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 08:16 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Its been a few days.

&