EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-13, 01:56 PM   #1
ferg75407
Lurking Renovator

Default free power at nite, solar by day

We enrolled with EP(provider) for free electricity from 10pm to 6am starting Aug 21.
I have 6kw solar. I have my hot water heater lower element on a timer for sun up power only, the upper element is at a lowered setpoint (110 ). We used kitchen and laundry primarily during sunup times too. We are in Tx, and have an air to air heatpump. Solar excess is bought by EP and we have been quite happy with the wallet effects. We are in the hottest part of year Aug will probably be our highest summer bill.
We are all electric. we plan to change hot water heater to night time topping off. we also will use laundry and dishwasher at night. We are considering heat storage this coming winter. How? don't know yet.
We have ideas, would like to get more ideas and schemes from the thinking folks on this site, comments on what we are doing as well as what we can do would be welcome

ferg75407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 01:26 PM   #2
ATLleaf
Lurking Renovator

why are they offering free?

any links to this program?
ATLleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 05:53 PM   #3
ferg75407
Lurking Renovator

My ep is TXU (txu.com), we are able to choose our providers. My guess is Free weekends and Free nights are an incentive to get customers from other providers. Some providers offer green generated power (a high rate) for some it has a feel good effect.
MY wife has sleep problems and does the laundry very early in the morning now and our hot water heater is on a timer for night time use now.
you have any ideas to exploit this scheme?
Thanks
Old 09-09-13, 09:19 PM   #4
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Build a solar hot water system. They are easy to make and well worth it.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 12:02 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I don't know if you've seen it, but we have a great link with many simple things you can do to reduce your energy usage:

60+ Home Energy Saving Tips You can do Right Now - EcoRenovator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 04:18 PM   #6
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Default TXU Free nights 30

I am going solar in jan 2015 and I am on the txu free nights plan would like to know how it works as far as you solar credits go I am installing a 10 kw setup but would like to still use my free night time hours.
karl0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-14, 05:14 PM   #7
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Set the water heater to 140F and then set the timer to only turn on at night. Then use a recirculating pump and fan coil to extract the heat during the day.

For storing cold, find a used A/C condensing unit, some copper tubing, and an expansion valve. Coil the tubing in a garbage can filled with water and use the A/C to freeze the water during the night. Use another copper coil and an antifreeze solution (pumped through a surplus car radiator or similar) to extract the cold for use during the day.
Robaroni (07-14-15)
Old 12-23-14, 04:54 PM   #8
ferg75407
Lurking Renovator

karl0525, I believe there would be no effect on solar credits, I remember no paper work when I got free nights, I had solar first.
NiHaoMike, thanks for for your idea it makes sense. I'll look around for parts, I do have at least one good radiator on hand. I'll post again if I get this off and rolling,
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg75407 For This Useful Post:
karl0525 (12-23-14)
Old 12-23-14, 05:07 PM   #9
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg75407 View Post
karl0525, I believe there would be no effect on solar credits, I remember no paper work when I got free nights, I had solar first.
NiHaoMike, thanks for for your idea it makes sense. I'll look around for parts, I do have at least one good radiator on hand. I'll post again if I get this off and rolling,
So whatever I produce during the day will not affect my free hours? They are kept separate? Is there a way to give me an example of your bill or can you pm me so we can talk about the details thanks
karl0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 08:35 AM   #10
ferg75407
Lurking Renovator

karl0525, have got a smart meter at your point of use? Have you learned to acess it? you need to understand it? My meter has a simulated "wheel" that rotates to indicate the power flow direction and amplitude. there are sequential displays that indicate "power from time of installation", "peak power", "power delivered to you", "Power delivered to power company". You can find this online some where{texassmartmeter.com}. My system uses a older meter with the real wheel indicating power going to my breaker box recordeing my total power generated.
sorry got carried away.
The information is separated at the meter and will not have any effect on your free hours.
I do not know how to pm you. Something I need to learn.

Tags
free energy, storing cool, storing heat