EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-14, 12:09 PM   #11
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

This is why living in the South is a great thing. Pretty much completely free to do what we want. FYI, Florida is not considered "The South."

natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 01:03 PM   #12
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

8 March, 2014
Florida Court Rules Off-The-Grid Living Is Illegal

Magistrate Admits Code is Unreasonable

Eskin spent several hours reviewing the case and admitted that the code might be obsolete, the local Press-News newspaper reported.

“Reasonableness and code requirements don’t always go hand-in-hand … given societal and technical changes (that) requires review of code ordinances,” Eskin was quoted as saying.

Eskin’s remarks indicate that he views the code as both obsolete and unreasonable and in need of change. Yet he felt he had to enforce it.

The city did overstep its authority and may have violated due process procedures, Eskin noted. He felt that the city had not given Speronis proper notice of violations and ruled that some of the charges against her were unfounded.

“I am in compliance,” Speronis told the News-Press. “I’m in compliance of living … you may have to hook-up, but you don’t have to use it. Well, what’s the point?”
more : Florida Court Rules Off-The-Grid Living Is Illegal | The Mind Unleashed

I think this type of harassment is done to scare others off the idea not to protect the homeowner.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 09:20 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

There are millions of insane laws on the books in America. Lawyers and lawmakers alike devote their lives to bending, twisting, and changing these laws. Corporate entities funnel billions of dollars to the "right people" to try to get a competitive advantage concerning the law. A system comprised of conflicting interests, politicians, and money is self-defeating.

The best thing we can do as individuals is to stay informed and live the way we want to. Being accused of breaking some arcane, insane law is not a bad thing. The powers that be would have you think otherwise, but as individuals, we have the right to stand up for ourselves in public and in court. To lay back and take what the world throws our way in apathy is not how to live. By shedding light on the stupidity, its image is changed. And in this world, image becomes reality.

A certain quote comes to mind:

"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor."- Randy Blythe

The government was not created to define or limit our rights, or to tell us what to do. It's the other way around: the government consists of public servants who serve its trust. Don't think for a minute that you cannot change the system. It will change with or without your input.

Last edited by jeff5may; 04-07-14 at 09:37 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-14, 09:20 AM   #14
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
..."Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor."- Randy Blythe
This is a very puzzling quote... It seems to be advising the reader to kill rather than wound. Is that what you are advising?

I don't come across quotes that extol the advantage of committing murder very often.

But it does seem to be the advice that has been given to the local police in my fair city. If there is any doubt, their first recourse is to shoot to kill. Their punishment is a week or two off with pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
The government was not created to define or limit our rights, or to tell us what to do. It's the other way around: the government consists of public servants who serve its trust. Don't think for a minute that you cannot change the system. It will change with or without your input.
This sounds like the proper stuff we learned in school.

But I'm beginning to think that there is a tough, thick, knot that needs to be loosened if our Republic is to breathe freely again:

-AC
Old 04-08-14, 08:34 PM   #15
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Governments, like all things, obey Newtons laws. Specifically the one that says it will do nothing unless pushed in some direction by some force.

The force is usually money. Follow the money and you will find the force acting on the govt, and now that the high court has decided that there can be no limits on the auction spending to buy senators and congressmen, their sale price has just risen again. It will never be within the reach of commoner again.

This is not always the way it works but remember that, to reach any global ECO goal for the greater good (such as saving the planet), toes will have to be tread upon, major changes have to happen and the money people won't want it to affect their bottom line so expect it to get worse before it gets better.

Like the old Chinese proverb said...."may you live in interesting times" (I think is was a curse)
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 04:06 AM   #16
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
This is a very puzzling quote... It seems to be advising the reader to kill rather than wound. Is that what you are advising?

-AC
Nope, just simple justice. This goes along with the concealed carry motto: "An armed population is a polite population." If your neigboor has a weapon on him, you might lower your voice when having an argument. The old ways worked fine for thousands of years. Only recently has the judicial system complicated matters.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 05:12 AM   #17
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Jeff, this argument has gone back and forth for many decades and is not likely to be resolved any time soon. The simple fact is, the US has more murders and violent crime per capita than any other western democracy and it is the ONLY country that allows gun ownership to any real extent.

Now there are reasons why the violence rate is high, and I put income inequity and lack of some key parts of a social safety net high up, but there is no doubt the "right to bear arms" is among the reasons. It is your sacred cow so you have to live with it.

Think what would happen if you put all 350,000,000 Americans in Texas. This is what Europe is. America (and Canada, to some extent) still have the wild west mentality. It is part of our history. You have gun ownership and less of a safety net, we have little gun ownership and a better safety net (better minimum wage laws, health care etc) and we should have the same violence rate you do but we don't. It is way less.

Toronto has roughly 60 murders a year (population 3 million). What does a city that size in the US have?

In regards to "your neighbour lowering his voice", .....knowing there is a gun around does not resolves the situation, it just means it cannot be resolved without the fear of the gun coming out. Without the guns, they could actually yell at each other and get it out of their system.

Just my 2 cents
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesolar For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (04-09-14)
Old 04-09-14, 09:20 AM   #18
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Just my 2 cents
You're being too modest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Jeff, this argument has gone back and forth for many decades and is not likely to be resolved any time soon...
Mikesolar,

I think you are exhibiting a sense of restraint, reason and civility that is enviable.

Very well said.

-AC
Old 04-09-14, 11:26 AM   #19
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

The prisons can house those cowards who get angry and shoot & kill , its better then leaving the vulnerable at the mercy of a psychopath who does not need a gun , just an axe , knife or pipe to murder you with.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````

Here is the video of the lady who received the eviction notice from the city , the Day after the local news did a story with her.

scroll down slightly Widow Being Evicted for Living off the Grid (VIDEO) | The Libertarian Republic
Old 04-09-14, 11:39 AM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I do not own a gun, i have no need , no one is threatening me or stalking me ,I actually have no enemies , but if I was being stalked or threatened i would have a gun as many Canadians do who feel in such danger.
In Canada we have a concealed gun law that allows us to conceal and carry a gun for our personal protection and we aren't crazy gun toting bandits !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Canada concealed carry law

Two categories for handgun authorization

There are just two categories of individuals who are allowed an authorization to carry: those who require one because of their occupations and those who need one for the "protection of life." They need to get an authorization from the chief firearms officer for their province or territory.

I have a fiend who has a 2 AR's a couple real big S&W handguns (legally)and a multitude of hunting rifle's so lets not pretend Canada does not allow a houseful of guns , as they do , we have many many collectors and gun enthusiasts , Yet we hardly have a murder rate..

Last edited by ecomodded; 04-09-14 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: add info