EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-16, 09:17 AM   #211
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Some pics worth thousands of words:

Shiny new a-coil

Goes in a Jeep

Closeup

Cutaway view

Don't forget to keep posting data on your rig. I'm certain that many subscribers are anxious to know how the thing operates with a TXV instead of a cap tube, both ways (DX loop and air coil) on the suction side. With the dinky fan and supersized air coil, how does this affect COP? What tangible effect does the air coil have on comfort level in the house? I could go on, but you get the idea.

Last edited by jeff5may; 06-19-16 at 08:27 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
MEMPHIS91 (06-18-16), stevehull (06-22-16)
Old 06-18-16, 01:19 PM   #212
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Awesome pics. Thanks. So Now that I know what I have will work, I am going to build a dehumidifier for the house. I could use two of these bad boys for evap and condenser, OR I could go DX again and use it as a small geothermal unit and make it reversible. I'll start another thread. I got the HVAC bug again, after installing my first 3 ton 410a split unit at my grandparents in a record 5 hours. (Never installed one before).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0629.jpg
Views:	1625
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	7023  
Old 06-22-16, 08:59 PM   #213
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

142 hours, 8.31kwh = 1.4kwh a day. about .7 kwh less than the DX loop. Plus the water is set 5 degrees warmer.
Old 12-09-16, 09:05 PM   #214
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
You guys doing heat pump water, please do take note. Legionnaires disease is no joke. You need to be hitting 140F regularly. This stuff breeds in warm water and it's not to be trifled with.
To kill Legionnaires or any other bacteria in water is very very simple .... just add some silver inside the tank, or if you want to go the extra mile make a small colloidal silver generator and put it on a timer ! IT WORKS and the water also gets a lot of therapeutic proprieties. You have to make a very small generator and put it on a timer because you need a small amount of this thing to kill any bacteria out there, This colloidal silver stuff is a thing you really have to research more about because you can use it for so much more than that. I make it at home for years by now even thou the purposes I m using it are a total waste...I just keep it in a old windows cleaning spray bottle and spray it all over the place to sterilize things also I m using it every summer to overcome sun burns... while my friends are buying expensive creams I just don t use anything but when I get at hotel after a shower I take the spray bottle I usually use for sterilizing the floor and spray it all over myself.... in like 3 seconds most of the tension in the skin its gone, the pain...which pain and I just repeat the process 2-3 times in 10 minutes interval....and none of my friends believe me even thou we go to seaside together for years by now and they never see me using sun cream
Anyway, the main benefit of this substance is not to clean floors but to consume it daily and supercharge your body with a secondary immunity system, just do some research... the colloidal silver can be brought from the drug store, but its so expensive, you pay 20-30 USD for a 50-100ml bottle .... with that money you can buy pure silver wire and do enough colloidal silver out of it to last you a lifetime.
b420ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 09:55 PM   #215
b420ady
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Thanks Doax!

AC,
Yeah you just pointed out my biggest concern at the very beginning. The show WILL go on.
Oh the ground here is AMAZING! Plus in about 40-50 feet from a large 2 acre pond. So hitting water will ALWAYS happen. I already have 500 feet for HDPE 3/4 poly pipe in the pond for a geothermal loop idea I was already working on to heat my greenhouse (aquaponics) in the winter.
I have about 10 hours of reading ahead of me. I did find some good sites though.
http://welldrillingschool.com/course...geothermal.pdf "copper has sq.ft-hr-°F per inch of wall thickness, whereas that of HDPE pipe is only 2.7 Btu/sq.ft-hr-°F per inch"
And another forum mentioned using a oil separator, i guess like this one 1 3 8" HVAC Oil Separator 559011 | eBay
Looks from what I can tell the line coming from the HX coil is larger on the way down and smaller on the way up. So I'm thinking 3/8 down, 5/16 up. I will try one 30 foot bore hole and if it doesn't work I'll just drill another hole.
Are there any people with experience with DX installs on this site?
AQUAPONICS , wow I love that, can you show us some photos or videos with your aquaponics setup ,I researched for years about earthships and aquaponics and dream to build my own farm totally off grid and self sufficient. I m planning on using sun as main energy source but not using commercial solar panels instead more advanced stuff combined with vertical wind generator, anyway this is a very long topic on its own.

About heating greenhouses in the winter you might better consider building buried greenhouses were just the roof is exposed to the elements and you took advantage of the constant earth temperature.... this model was arrived here in Romania from China in small scale and works wonderfully for growing tomatoes at -20 C .... combined with a aquaponics system were you also heat the water with a solar heat exchanger if you want to raise tilapia and supplement the water heating with a heat pump

In the race for efficiency we should first use the passive sources that cost just at the beginning when you do the design and construction of the greenhouse (example the buried greenhouses), after that use some extra solar power (adding solar water heater to add more heat exactly were we need it the most were are the fishes) and even thou we love them so much, we could use the heat pumps just for extreme needs so at the end our tomatoes don t have included in them some KW/h of electricity from the local coal powered electric plant
I mean it might fell strange in the plate for some .... joking
b420ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-17, 08:33 PM   #216
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here are the newest numbers. System been logging for 7198 hours, that is 2 hours shy of 300 days. In those 300 days the system has used 440 kwh of power.
So that is 1.5 kwh a day, at $.12 a kwh, that is $.18 a day for 120F water. We have not run out, system hasn't broken, and no signs of it breaking anytime soon.
300 days for hot water for $80.
Fordguy64 (05-14-18), jeff5may (05-12-17), Ron342 (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 10:03 PM   #217
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Congratulations, guy - you deserve it!!
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 05:02 PM   #218
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Just checked the meter, the hours had run out past 9999, so I looked back at the last date of when I finished the unit. The unit continued to measure kWh.
3 years or 1100 days. And 2000 kWh comes to $220 of power used. $220 ÷ 1100 days = .20 cents a day.

This is without me touching it in a couple years. I haven't even checked the pressures.

We will start building soon and I will no longer be logging info. Again I can't thank all of y'all enough for the help provided and wisdom shared over this project build.
jeff5may (07-17-18)
Old 11-26-20, 06:21 PM   #219
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Unit is still running! No issues as of yet.
ctgottapee (12-23-20), Daox (11-30-20), pinballlooking (12-02-20), solarhotairpanels (12-29-20), u3b3rg33k (11-30-20)
Old 11-30-20, 03:00 AM   #220
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Awesome to hear from you! So your rig has been running faithfully for 5 years now? At 20 cents a day instead of 50 or 60? With zero maintenance. Man, that's 700 bucks. WOW

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote