EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-12, 12:46 AM   #11
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I was thinking a better set up would be too keep the fridge doors the same height but add the compressor and condenser on top after all our ceilings are 8 ft high.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 05:55 AM   #12
classradiance

Default good enough to monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Do you have a kill a watt to measure how much power the fridge is using?
Just an idea . ..

Google Image Result for http://images-en.busytrade.com/211942800/Energy-Saving-Plug-in-Power-Monitor.jpg

I think I need to look at this now !!
classradiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 06:37 AM   #13
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"mnrenovator are you sure your's blows air out the front?"

Yes, when I cleaned the coils a couple of months ago I took a good look. The coils are the full width of the refrigerator compartment. There is a fan that pulls the air through the coils and the exhausts it under the freezer side and out it flows out the front. Basically the freezer side is like a duct. This also helps with passing the warm air over the defrost water to evaporate it out quicker. The back of the fridge has no vents its a solid chunk of brown masonite or similar material in that area so the air doesn't have a way of readily going to out the back.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 08:08 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Looks like I'm going to have to pull my fridge out too now! I don't know if the coils are on the bottom or back... I too couldn't put insulation around the sides of my fridge, but I could probably put some on the back/bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-05-12 at 08:12 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 12:03 PM   #15
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I have the math on improvement made it turns out to be a 38% improvement.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-05-12 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: corrected
Old 10-05-12, 12:16 PM   #16
Daox
Administrator

How are you measuring the fridge on cycle time?

&
Old 10-05-12, 12:31 PM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I timed the run time and off duration with the wall clock for a week, compiling a 10 page collection of run times in the process.
It is a high resolution measurement.

Also in the morning when its 15c inside the fridge will stay off for 3 hours and run for 30 min.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-05-12 at 01:33 PM..
Old 10-05-12, 01:07 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to pull my fridge out too now! I don't know if the coils are on the bottom or back... I too couldn't put insulation around the sides of my fridge, but I could probably put some on the back/bottom.
The bottom and back are the real problem areas.
I tested the fridge with just the bottom of the fridge from the kick panel to the compressor/condenser insulated for a few days and noted a shorter run duration consistently of 2 - 3 minutes and a 10 -15 minutes longer off time.
Old 10-08-12, 12:49 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I timed the run time and off duration with the wall clock for a week, compiling a 10 page collection of run times in the process.
It is a high resolution measurement.

Also in the morning when its 15c inside the fridge will stay off for 3 hours and run for 30 min.
Wow, thats dedication!

Quote:
The bottom and back are the real problem areas.
I tested the fridge with just the bottom of the fridge from the kick panel to the compressor/condenser insulated for a few days and noted a shorter run duration consistently of 2 - 3 minutes and a 10 -15 minutes longer off time.
Now I'll really really have to do it. Every time I look at my TED data logs I can see the fridge turning on and off all day long...

&
Old 10-08-12, 03:23 PM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Haha it was dedication!, I actually tested each layer of insulation and its effect, the on time shortened and the off time lengthened predictably with each layer, i may yet add more layers down the road, but first i want to conduct more tests.

Your TED will be liking the fridge insulation, I also wanted to mention that if you could, insulate the refrigerators top as the freezer section could use the extra insulation.