EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-16, 05:34 PM   #1
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default "Why I can no longer recommend Fujitsu mini-split heat pumps"

I found this interesting..

https://tedsenergytips.com/2014/01/2...it-heat-pumps/

I guess this says a lot towards the DIY approach, with lower cost systems..

My Sanyos will be 7 years old this fall..

Old 08-10-16, 08:14 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I was going to buy a Fujitsu but when I check out the warranty they would not cover it if I bought a unit off the internet. Even know they know they are selling lots of units on the web.

I had to buy from a local dealer and have them install it.
Thanks but no thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 11:59 PM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

He has three units that fail because of a power surge but acknowledges that other people in the neighborhood has equipment fail because of it. ...in my opinion..can't blame Fujitsu.

He has a single unit of three fail out of warranty, sometimes things fail early, it happens and he was out of warranty.

I think the only rough part is that parts aren't available for his unit.

The warranty argument against online purchases or DIY installs isn't just a Fujitsu thing, it's an HVAC thing. The major manufacturers are similar, check with Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Carrier, Goodman, Daikin, etc. These manufacturers usually want the distributor that sold the unit to vouch that it was sold to a professional installer. They can look up who they sold the unit to by the serial number and then contact that distributor to find out which HVAC company it was sold to. If it's off to an individual or a known Internet sales type thing, you essentially have no warranty. ..some manufacturers are okay with Internet sales but they still want a tech to call them when there are warranty claims and most techs don't like to support DIY installs because they are typically done without a permit which can make them liable.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 07:28 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

i have a few statements about this subject here:

1. The "new HVAC order" is in the business of selling extended warranties and service contracts now. If you purchase a system with a short warranty term, they will sell you an extension to prevent the situation described in the article. With or without an extended warranty, the installer is not going to go to great lengths to hunt a replacement down for you. A call to the distributor and maybe the mfr is all they are going to do for you.

2. The mini-split market in general is not mix-and-match in nature like the full-size central unit market is. If a certain product breaks, a very similar or exact matchup has to happen. As with most residential appliances, spares are out there if you look hard enough. Usually, the seller knows this and a working spare is priced accordingly. Also, the labor to have a pro swap out parts and make the system operate correctly is not trivial, many times the labor will exceed parts cost.

3. If an owner decides to DIY, they better be able to troubleshoot and repair a malfunctioning system all alone. A contractor walking through a self-install is one of the most frustrating and expensive service you can have done.

I'm not saying that mini-split units or self-installs are bad, just that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited by jeff5may; 03-31-17 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 11:12 AM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Yeah, all it takes is one little power grid glitch and all the money you saved, is down the tubes..

I've got 2 bad indoor unit fan motors.. Both still work, air comes out, but the noise is high-pitched..
I could replace the main broad on the Den unit..
But, I'm really not sure that I want to take that path..
If the replacement board is DOA, there won't be any way to prove the outdoor unit isn't causing the problem..
Or that it wasn't mis-installed.. More votes for buying a new Gree..