EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-14, 09:02 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Help me install better garage / shop lighting

I've come to the conclusion that my garage is inadequately lighted. I really want more light when working out there. As it is, I can barely take pictures without the trouble light, and even then the pictures are dark. Yeah, its workable, but a little extra lighting would probably do me a world of good I think.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. Mainly, I'm looking to have better lighting for working on cars. I'm wondering what you guys have that works good, and probably just as importantly where to place the lights? I'm guessing 4' florescents are the easiest and least expensive to put up. But where? On the sides and between the cars?

Below is my general garage layout. Its a 2.5 car garage. The orange shows my current lighting. I have 4 E27 (standard screw base bulbs) that have 100W equivalent CFLs in them. I then have a 2 bulb 4' florescent over my workbench off to the left. I have no idea what the specs are on it. The blue shows what I think might work good. I really only work on cars in the left stall, so one 4' florescent fixture on either side of where the engine bay is would probably be good? I don't think having the light in front of the car would do much good as my shadow would block a lot of the light.

Ideas and suggestions would be great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	4762  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 10:40 PM   #2
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Avoid shadows by using cross lighting

Last edited by ecomodded; 11-11-14 at 09:35 AM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 06:55 AM   #3
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I had just posted about changing the T8 out to LEDs It looks like you have the same size garage. In mine I have 6 x 2 tube fixtures. The T8 fluorescent lights were OK but those 6000K 17 watt LEDs kick butt. It may not be the answer your looking for (inexpensive) but its extremely well lit.

I would recommend placing min 4 x 2tube surface mounts but 90 deg. to the fixtures you have now. Or single strip again 90 deg to what you already have.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 07:52 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

So, something more like this?

I'm not opposed to LED. I'm just not out there THAT much, and the house still doesn't have LEDs. So, I'd rather spend for home lighting first.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garage.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	4763  

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-11-14 at 07:56 AM..
Old 11-11-14, 08:24 AM   #5
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Better lighting for the man zone

Yes, but use the wiring already there. put the 4 fixtures (flush mount) over the hex boxes of the screw base lights. Drop the wires in.

I'm really pleased with the amount of light from the LEDs. The fluorescents needed time to warm and brighten. However the LED are instant on. With the 6 fixtures in the garage it is like daylight.

As you had indicated you wish to illuminate your garage to work on the vehicles. One big one is to paint the walls with a bright colour. With this the light bounces around (indirect)light. So as you have the hood up the light bounces off the bright wall and under the hood.

I know dollars are a deciding factors but think of it this way. You will be doing this up-grade DIY and not having to hire an electrician. Saving big $. And if your going LEDs it could be your last visit to the top of a step ladder to change the bulb for the rest of your life.??? (life span of 20-30 yrs). Oh, almost forgot electrical energy reduction.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_3095.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	4764  

Last edited by Daox; 11-11-14 at 08:41 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-11-14), Servicetech (12-20-14)
Old 11-11-14, 08:41 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Point well taken. Thanks!

The white walls/ceiling are a great idea. The garage is completely unfinished and uninsulated at this point.

&
Old 11-11-14, 08:54 AM   #7
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

You may be able to find fluorescent fixtures at the second hand building store. But offer only $1.00 as your going to through out the ballast. I was able to get my LEDs for $12.00 ea.

You could install your fixtures and only put a couple LEDs as you have spare $.

Randen
Old 11-11-14, 09:24 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

I think I have three 4 foot fixtures. They have old magnetic ballasts in them. Can those be used for LEDs?

&
Old 11-11-14, 09:45 AM   #9
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

You should be able to. Just remove the ballast.
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 09:59 AM   #10
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Yes

Definitely you use the old fixtures. You remove the ballast and direct wire the LEDs to 90-280vac.

You will love the LEDs

The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-11-14)