EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-15, 12:23 PM   #41
Erich_870
Helper EcoRenovator

More work this weekend.

I replaced the weak bathroom fan in my kids bathroom with a Panasonic Whisper Heat. I installed a Panasonic Whisper Light at my old house and this new fan didn't disappoint! They are SILENT and move a crazy amount of air. I will never buy another brand.

The project was a pain given my vaulted ceilings. The only complaints I have about the new fan is that the wiring enclosure is really small so hooking up the multiple circuits is difficult. Then you have to stuff all the wires buck up inside and pray that none of the wire nuts come off.

Also, the grill cover on the fan lets you see right up into it so you can see everything when the lights are on. I didn't expect that...

Here's some pics:

Here's the old fan. You can see it wasn't taped properly and was leaking air and allowing moisture to condense and run down the vapor barrier.

Another view of the old fan.

Here's the new fan installed.

The crawlspace work is also coming along:

Grading out the rocks and debris

Foam board layed down around the perimeter

There is still more foam board to go down and then I can focus on sealing the vapor barrier.

Erich

Erich_870 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erich_870 For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-04-15)
Old 05-04-15, 01:35 PM   #42
Daox
Administrator

Great updates Erich! Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 01:20 PM   #43
Erich_870
Helper EcoRenovator

More progress last night.

I started hanging the stem wall vapor barrier.

You can see a black bead of acoustic sealant at the top and then it's stapled.

Erich
The Following User Says Thank You to Erich_870 For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-08-15)
Old 06-11-15, 12:06 PM   #44
Erich_870
Helper EcoRenovator

I meant to share a video I put together of my insulation vacuum.

I wish I wasn't in such a rush with this project. I would have taken more video. I used some old footage from the first time I used it, but I was in a huge rush then too, lol.

Anyway, it worked really well. We don't have an outfit in town that does this. I called around with the local energy improvement companies and they just use dust pans and garbage bags.

For $150, there is no reason not to build your own. If you had a ton of cellulose to remove, I'd rent a dumpster. It totally filled up my little trailer even after getting in 4 times and stomping it down.

https://youtu.be/13Ro7EBFXCY

Erich
Old 06-13-15, 10:27 PM   #45
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Erich, Please explain why you don't like cellulose. For the cellulose you removed, what is its replacement?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-15, 02:23 PM   #46
Erich_870
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Erich, Please explain why you don't like cellulose. For the cellulose you removed, what is its replacement?
MN,

I have a problem with cellulose because of how it soaks up moisture and turns into a brick and then damages your ceiling drywall. This happened at my last home. Any condensing moisture affects the cellulose. You can see in my video how difficult it was to remove the cellulose. I had to chip it out with a garden tool.

I blew in AttiCat as the substitute for cellulose.

Erich
Old 06-18-15, 08:34 AM   #47
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Where is the moisture coming from? Is this an Alaska problem? I had a turtle vent that leaked in a little water, problem during a hard rainstorm that cause there to be a frisbee sized section of cellulose that caked up slightly but running my hand through it thoroughly broke it up and it only went about 1/4" deep. Is this on the top layer of cellulose or do you have a bunch of moisture coming from the interior of the house?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-15, 11:07 AM   #48
Erich_870
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Where is the moisture coming from? Is this an Alaska problem? I had a turtle vent that leaked in a little water, problem during a hard rainstorm that cause there to be a frisbee sized section of cellulose that caked up slightly but running my hand through it thoroughly broke it up and it only went about 1/4" deep. Is this on the top layer of cellulose or do you have a bunch of moisture coming from the interior of the house?
From what I could tell it was years of the air in the attic hitting the dew point both from inside air escaping and humid outside air coming in the vents. The moisture would condense in the cellusose and saturate it so it would settle a little more at the time. It went from light and fluffy to a hard biscuit.

Erich