EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-17, 05:23 PM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

Is that BVC or BPVC or something to that effect?
The plastic piping that gave all plastic piping a bad name.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 10:07 PM   #12
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

for a coax tube reference, I have a 70 ft long 3/4 copper inside 1-1/4" pvc evaporator on WSHP, 9 gpm flow. I get 5 Tons at COP of 5.2 for 56F entry water.

Scale accordingly for your 2T unit. e.g. 3.5 gpm and 30 feet long for 3/4 Cu pipe. Probably can scale by OD area for smaller copper.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mejunkhound For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 10:53 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Is that BVC or BPVC or something to that effect?
The plastic piping that gave all plastic piping a bad name.
It's polybutylene, aka poly-b or PB pipe. The main problem with this type is that the chlorine or chloramine the utilities use to disinfect the water attacks the plastic. It becomes brittle and weakens from the inside out and can fail without warning. To make matters worse, lots of plumbers used acrylic fittings with the poly-b pipe, which suffers the same degradation.

The trailer was originally purchased by me to live in for a few years while I built a house next to it. When I moved into it, I had no clue that my wife hated the property and the trailer from day one. I about got a divorce over that one. We ended up moving out, and my parents assumed the mortgage. Twenty years later, the trailer is still where I put it, and the house never got built. They are charging three times the mortgage payment in rent now.

The piping by the inlet froze a few times before I figured out how to insulate it sufficiently. Both hot and cold supply lines have manifold rigs directly under the water heater, which froze and leaked also. This is why I highly recommend shark-bite fittings. Everything else I used replacing manifold components ended up leaking eventually. Both of the manifolds are now PEX pipe and shark-bite fittings, and have held up for a decade without incident. When the water heater was replaced this summer, it got PEX and shark-bite fittings all the way to the manifolds.

The poly-b pipe is actually pretty stout when it's new. It held it's own and didn't burst during freezing events. It did deform a bit, though. The stuff blows up like a balloon. I couldn't fit a lot of it into the new fittings, so it got replaced with PEX pipe. A good portion of the rest of the place still has gray pipe in it.

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-18-17 at 07:17 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 09:27 AM   #14
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default cheap HEs

Great project!
If you're looking for easily made inexpensive exchangers, I use a coil of refrigeration copper tube which I turned into a similar size coil of poly pipe with copper fitting adapters on the ends, see pics. Mine was 3/8 copper inside 3/4 poly and the 3/4 copper pipe at the adapter ends if sharpened would just fit inside the poly if the poly was warmed.
Use pex if you need it for hi temp.
The copper coil feeds easily into the slick poly and in an hour you can have any size exchanger you want and easily resize it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EvappLeft.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	7903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0427.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	7904  
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron342 For This Useful Post:
geoff (12-19-17)
Old 09-26-17, 10:16 AM   #15
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post
for a coax tube reference, I have a 70 ft long 3/4 copper inside 1-1/4" pvc evaporator on WSHP, 9 gpm flow. I get 5 Tons at COP of 5.2 for 56F entry water.

Scale accordingly for your 2T unit. e.g. 3.5 gpm and 30 feet long for 3/4 Cu pipe. Probably can scale by OD area for smaller copper.
What's your winter and summer exit temps look like?????

Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote