EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-08, 11:00 AM   #21
toyobug
avid DIY'r

Holy Crap! is that the easiest way?

toyobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 11:10 AM   #22
Daox
Administrator

Haha, there are streamlined ways of doing it. But, that is the most integrated way with the forum. Like I said in the post, once you do it a few times its pretty quick and easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 11:52 AM   #23
toyobug
avid DIY'r

i've succesfully done it!
check out my new thread under Projects / improvements or something like that.
Old 09-25-08, 11:53 AM   #24
toyobug
avid DIY'r

thanks Daox!
Old 08-31-09, 08:53 AM   #25
Daox
Administrator

Well, this weekend marked a big change for us in the house. My cousin, his wife, and their three children have moved out. This gives me the two southern bedrooms back as well as the sunroom. I have a lot more to think about with how I am going to use these rooms now.

&
Old 10-13-09, 02:09 PM   #26
fishaholic
Lurking Renovator

Ok, you got a nice house. I am guessing that the mention of previous owners in the initial post means you own this house. That makes things easier and more expensive. Since Winter in Wisconsin came early this year you better get started.
The best improvement you can do right now is insulate your attic. If you don't use it for storage I would put in a minimum of 18". That was the best investment I made. Don't know your finances, but the county extention should have money to insulate old houses for free. Take advantage if you can. If you have lathe and plaster walls I will guess that they don't have insulation. Then just seal up any holes in the walls (outlets), windows, and doors. It should be part of the program if you can get the county extention to do it. It's not really expensive either if you have to pay out of pocket, just time consuming. When I insulated my attic I bought the celulose(?) and then got to use the blower for free.
Good luck.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 04:07 PM   #27
Daox
Administrator

Thanks fishaholic.

Attic insulation was the first thing I thought of too. I blew in 13 inches of cellulose above the the fiberglass that was already up there last year. Here is the link to the work done:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/projec...nsulation.html

Unfortunately, it didn't help a ton. So, this year I'm focusing on sealing the house up. So far, the effects seem quite positive.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/projec...ing-house.html

&
Old 12-28-09, 04:12 AM   #28
lichong712
Lurking Renovator

wonderful place

lichong712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-13, 01:49 PM   #29
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Your place looks very nice.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-13, 01:57 PM   #30
jeff88
Lots of questions

Daox- Definitely found yourself a little gem, beautiful home. What direction is the house facing? From your aerial pics and description, your garage door is facing East?

I only ask, because the orientation of the house (or any building) is very important for the structure on a whole, almost or just as important as insulation. Depending on what direction is westward, you might want to consider eliminating windows and adding extra insulation (or maybe awnings if you don't want to get rid of a window).

What side is your sunroom on? If that is westward, then you have almost a buffer for the mid-late day sun, which makes your cooling a lot easier.

Just a few thoughts...

jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote