EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-11, 06:56 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Using trees for building materials isn't in and of itself bad. Trees will regrow so its kind of a renewable resource. Cutting and cutting and cutting with no replanting is obviously an issue. There are organizations that make sure that trees are cut in a green manner and replanting is done. I don't remember them off hand though.

Welcome to the site too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 10:02 AM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faq View Post
...But I would hate to cut down trees to make a new deck...
I don't really get the 'deck thing'.

Why build a structure that needs to be replaced every 15 to 20 years?

I completely understand wanting to have an outside area for socializing, etc during fair weather.

I think that the patio idea, where stones or pavers or re-cycled concrete chunks, or beautiful mosaic surfaces like the Romans did, is far superior to a wood deck or a plastic deck (you still have rot-prone sub-structure).

The cementitious materials do not break down when exposed to UV or rain, and with some careful design can be every bit as attractive as a deck.

I say, "down with the deck, power to the patio".

-AC_Hacker
Old 05-06-11, 11:29 AM   #13
S-F
You Ain't Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I don't really get the 'deck thing'.

Why build a structure that needs to be replaced every 15 to 20 years?

I completely understand wanting to have an outside area for socializing, etc during fair weather.

I think that the patio idea, where stones or pavers or re-cycled concrete chunks, or beautiful mosaic surfaces like the Romans did, is far superior to a wood deck or a plastic deck (you still have rot-prone sub-structure).

The cementitious materials do not break down when exposed to UV or rain, and with some careful design can be every bit as attractive as a deck.

I say, "down with the deck, power to the patio".

-AC_Hacker
Amen!

I was a patio and wall mason for years. Here in New England we have great field stone that you can use to make a patio that looks 400 yrs. old on day 1. The only maintenance, assuming that the foundation is made properly, is to re grout it every 5 or 10 years. Just make sure the foundation is made extremely well like the Romans did and it will last another thousand years.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 01:40 AM   #14
faq
Green Enthusiast

I think a wood deck or something that looks like it would feel more natural? I'm wondering what the carbon footprint for a stone deck would be. Does anyone have numbers for this? Can some one link some images to these?
faq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 12:29 PM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faq View Post
Does anyone have numbers for this? Can some one link some images to these?
There is a web app called "Google" that is very useful for this kind of thing.

-AC
Old 04-13-12, 03:59 PM   #16
S-F
You Ain't Me

All pools nd hot tubs are made of materials that don't rot. When was the last time you saw a wood lined pool? Making a stone or brick pool would be very difficult if not impossible for most people. People can't even make tile bath tubs. You have to go beyond waterproof to water holding and an entire pool worth of water exerts a lot of pressure. It would be cool though, wouldn't it? There was an article linked to on here a while back about a pond style pool that was stunning in appearance and concept. Actually I had forgotten about that article. Now that I have a house and a yard I might think about something like that.

I can't seem to find that post now. I think it was Daox who posted it? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 04-13-12 at 04:05 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 04:10 PM   #17
Daox
Administrator

Maybe this one?

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/other-...ural-pool.html

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:09 AM   #18
bobmd559

This is Bob McDonnell, I'm also new