EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search
 


Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-12, 11:18 PM   #21
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,002
Thanks: 303
Thanked 703 Times in 526 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
-Well, you don't understand my baby, he's a good kid, he's just misunderstood. He couldn't have done the bad thing you say he did - - - oops, I mean wind power is just misunderstood.
AlanE,

You are obviously going to a lot of trouble here, but I'm not sure I understand what your point is?

-AC

__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 11:50 PM   #22
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 91
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
AlanE,

You are obviously going to a lot of trouble here, but I'm not sure I understand what your point is?

-AC
I go to the same trouble I see you going to - you seek to correct misinformation about heat pump technology when you see it posted, well I'm doing the same. Romanticism and ideology can't overcome basic physics and economics. Renewable energy technologies, with some exceptions like micro-hydro, just don't have the energy density to be viable as replacements for our current energy requirements. Wishing things were different won't make things different. Technologies like solar and wind are good for people like us who like to tinker and who don't mind paying for the privilege or for those who are off-grid, but they're simply ill-suited for wide-scale replacement.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 12:15 AM   #23
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,860
Thanks: 105
Thanked 244 Times in 224 Posts
Default

Here's newer story about Spain. Doesn't look good over there. 22% unemployment.
Highest rate in the Euro zones.

News Headlines
__________________
My hobby is installing & trying to repair mini-splits
EPA 608 Type 1 Technician Certification ~ 5 lbs or less..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 12:38 AM   #24
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,860
Thanks: 105
Thanked 244 Times in 224 Posts
Default

This topic does not seem to be related directly to DIY, but to a news story.
A story that seems to be pointing to the great success of wind power in Spain.
One might assume some very smart people in Spain made good
choices on the best way to spent their money..?.


The wisdom of investing billions in wind power for environmentalist reasons, is a political issue in Spain.
When we look at what's happening to the standard of living in Spain today,
we have to wonder if one of the reasons for their apparent decline,
is due to their adherence to the mandates laid down by the environmentalist.?.



Since we have environmentalist in control of our government now,
it's also a political issue here in the USA.

At this point in time, is it wise for American treasure to be spent
on low-yield methods of energy production?

Are we just rearranging deck chairs here??

Seems like a good topic to discuss in the Wind Power section of the forum..
__________________
My hobby is installing & trying to repair mini-splits
EPA 608 Type 1 Technician Certification ~ 5 lbs or less..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 12:55 AM   #25
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,002
Thanks: 303
Thanked 703 Times in 526 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Since we have environmentalist in control of our government now, it's also a political issue here in the USA.
What part of "EcoRenovator" eludes your understanding?

You are hijacking the thread.

-AC
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 09:30 AM   #26
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,002
Thanks: 303
Thanked 703 Times in 526 Posts
Default Tilting at Windmills...

Last evening I got to thinking about an old novel that was written by a Spanish guy...

The novel was about a delusional man who imagined himself to be a chivalrous warrior, and who, along with his hapless sidekick attacked Spanish windmills in order to save the honor of a fair damsel, who in reality was the village prostitute.

There must be something about Spanish windmills that attracts this kind of thing.

-AC
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 10:38 AM   #27
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,860
Thanks: 105
Thanked 244 Times in 224 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
What part of "EcoRenovator" eludes your understanding?

You are hijacking the thread.

-AC
There is no hijack.. The OP links a March 25, 2008 news idem that boasts
about a great achievement in wind power.

I'm pretty sure we can question that assumption,
without moving the discussion to another part of this web site.

If the moderator wants to move the discussion, so be it.
Why would anyone who is following it, even care?

I've met a few people that read information (hype?) about wind power
and jump to the conclusion, that those glowing reports could be translated into
a backyard success with a wind turbine they can order on-line..

For examples, search on "Missouri Wind and Solar" scam or rip-off.

One of my Youtube PV buddies down in Florida wanted to mount a MW&S turbine,
on a low mount, in the narrow space between his house and his neighbors.
Because the wind increased when it was forced between the houses.

Even with my limited experiences with small sailboats seems to tell me that's a nutty idea..
I told him he should get a good site evaluation done before placing his order.
I'm not sure if he did or not..
__________________
My hobby is installing & trying to repair mini-splits
EPA 608 Type 1 Technician Certification ~ 5 lbs or less..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 11:54 AM   #28
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae
 
Xringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 4,860
Thanks: 105
Thanked 244 Times in 224 Posts
Default Alonso, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Last evening I got to thinking about an old novel that was written by a Spanish guy...

The novel was about a delusional man who imagined himself to be a chivalrous warrior, and who, along with his hapless sidekick attacked Spanish windmills in order to save the honor of a fair damsel, who in reality was the village prostitute.

There must be something about Spanish windmills that attracts this kind of thing.

-AC
I get your implied name-calling jab..
But, if you think about it with an open mind, it cuts both ways..

Some readers might think that you are referring to yourself as Alonso Quijano..

And what does that make Lady Wind Power, without her makeup? LOL!!
__________________
My hobby is installing & trying to repair mini-splits
EPA 608 Type 1 Technician Certification ~ 5 lbs or less..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 05:03 PM   #29
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 91
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Just to show that I'm not irrationally opposed to wind power let me say that I intend to build a small windmill, not for power generation, but as a well pump. I'll build a reservoir and when the wind blows, and the reservoir has available capacity, the windmill will pump up water and then when the wind dies down I won't care because the pumping requirement doesn't have to meet an "always-on" condition.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 05:08 PM   #30
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 30 miles east of London, UK
Posts: 88
Thanks: 12
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

And then get a pelton turbine wheel and use that for hydro-electric. Job done!

nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design