Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-14, 11:12 PM   #1
swamisalami
Lurking Renovator

Default Computers and Smartphones

Hey guys,
I've recently had a great deal of success with my desktop computer's settings and my smartphone. As far as the computer goes, anytime I step away from it, i'll simply turn off the monitor with the push of a button. Secondly, I changed my desktop background and color scheme to black. There are even settings in which one can make the internet browser's background black! (if anyone has any tips on how to make a browser black with white text, please let me know. I'm unable to use the black browser setting, because of my poor eyesight). This is something I hadn't thought of until recently. Third, I hooked it up to a surge protector that I can turn off when not in use. I've come a long way from leaving my computer on sleep mode instead of turning it completely off!

Finally, I made similar changes to my smartphone. I also recently learned that turning one's phone off at night and keeping it plugged in is very good for both the battery life and electric consumption. I've also started pushing the sleep button as soon as I'm done with it instead of waiting for the screen to go black on its own. I usually don't have to charge my phone at odd times anymore. Also, when I plug it in at night I usually have around 25-30% battery life left.

I'll have to wait until I get back to Alaska to use my kill-a-watt to really expand upon my savings in these particular ways, but I have no doubt these methods are advantageous.

swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, smartphone