EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-09, 10:51 AM   #11
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Don't forget about BuildItSolar: Solar energy projects for Do It Yourselfers to save money and reduce pollution

dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 09:18 PM   #12
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Social Solar Death Ray

I think I know what I would like to do with the mirrors!

Since I don't have great solar access in my yard, since it would be lots of work to mount all those mirrors, since I want to do something really wild anyways.....

Ladies and Gentlemen... May I present to you the Social Solar Death Ray!

Rather than go through lots of work carefully mounting the mirrors, instead, they are simply hand-held by human beings. This could be at a beach, a rally, an Earth Day event - any place with a bunch of people and some sunlight.

I will make a brief instruction sheet, which will get glued to the back of each mirror. It will simply tell the people what to do (and NOT to do).
Something like:

1: Stand in semi-circle
2: Reflect sunlight at target object (bag of popcorn, cooking pot, steam engine, etc.)
3ONT shine light at anyone or anything else
4: Return mirror to where it came from.

Fifty mirrors on a sunny day would equate to over 20 Kilowatts of energy! (Assuming 100% reflectivity) Even accounting for transmission losses, this will be a fierce death ray, capable of mass fun!

The activity will involve lots of people, making them feel like they are a part of whatever is going on, whether it is an Earth Day event, or some sort of a promotional gimmick for a local club, awareness raising, etc.
Heck, I am sure we could even figure out a way to use it as a fun-raiser!

"Spontaneous" events could happen by arrangement through Facebook and similar social networking sites.
Imagine bringing this to a Star Wars convention! Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers could finally destroy Alderon with Solar Power!

I'll still need to work out the details, what will make the most fun target, what the best information on the instruction sheet would be, etc., but this project has possibilities!

-Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 11:14 PM   #13
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Someone with pv panels could use them in the off season to boost output during those dreary days.
Or for use as reflectors with the solar heat air exchanger boxes on houses for increase Btu output.

ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
challenge, contest, mirror, plastic, solar