EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-10, 12:30 AM   #1
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Basement Insulation.

Old brick laid basement, about a meter of the wall is above ground in places. As you can see no insulation.

Hope this doesn't give ya bad dreams. Feel free to comment.

I'm going to insulate the walls and sill area by next winter. My plan is to put up a stud wall in front of the brick wall. Cover it with flake board or plywood. including between the joist. Then blow the void full of insulation. Since there is more than one way to do something, does anyone see a better or easier way.

I do plan to get some foam on the outside of the walls as time and money permits.

kbhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 06:13 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

There are a bunch of ways of doing this. Just make sure you plan for moisture well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 09:17 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

For the spaces between floor joists I would cut 2" thick foam in to blocks that fit between the joists, to make this easier make them a little small and use great stuff expanding foam to seal them in place, it is best to do this on a cold windy day so you can feel the drafts coming in to your house.
I would use the same kind of foam to insulate the basemen walls as it will hold up to moisture and you can tape the seams for even more protection.
I also notice that your pipes are not insulated at all, altho they are PVC so they don't lose heat as fast as copper it would be worth checking to see how warm they are and if they are warm then insulate them.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 12:31 AM   #4
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

Decided to go ahead and try to insulate the basement and crawl space. I'm just going with 2" bead foam over the walls. The void made up by the joist, sill and 1st floor, little to big to stuff with foam. Going to use blow - in. Also to many wires and pipes in the way. The Great -Stuff foam should hold the top in place. Planning to screw a 2"x4" into the concrete along the base to hold it. Which well work out since I plan to put insulated water barrel storage along the walls. Yep.

Old 02-07-10, 10:54 AM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

If you can, glue/seal the edges of the foam to the wall as well, also around things like that window, you should check for drafts, our basement window has a layer of shrink fit window film over it, you can also put a storm window on the outside, might as well do both if you can.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 01:53 AM   #6
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

I dislike working on old stuff.

Part of what I'm doing is getting ready for a new washer and drier. They will be replacing a 15 year old set.
Getting the Samsung washer and drier. The washer is advertised, to save so much, it will pay for the drier the first year.

Switching to electric drier. Having to put in a new plug. Wouldn't want the drier to use an old one. All hail code.
Old 02-09-10, 02:08 AM   #7
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
If you can, glue/seal the edges of the foam to the wall as well, also around things like that window, you should check for drafts, our basement window has a layer of shrink fit window film over it, you can also put a storm window on the outside, might as well do both if you can.
I've used 7 cans of great stuff over the last few days. It's the nastiest stuff, I've used that works.

I took all the hinges and locks off the windows. So I can pull them out this spring to clean, paint and Plexiglas both sides. Going to seal 3 and have 2 as fire escapes.

Thanks for reply.

kevin
Old 02-09-10, 09:36 AM   #8
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhale View Post
I've used 7 cans of great stuff over the last few days. It's the nastiest stuff, I've used that works.
Great Stuff is wonderful in what you can do with it and nasty when it gets on other surfaces (like hands). TIP. resist the urge to wipe drying foam as the sticky mess will never come off. Instead wait for it to dry completely then it snaps off cleanly (even off skin).
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterpower For This Useful Post:
benpope (09-01-10)
Old 02-14-10, 02:27 AM   #9
kbhale
Helper EcoRenovator

I hope these are eco as they say.

The Sears repairmen setting them up, Says he seldom gets called to work on the Samsung. Also told me LG is building the Kenmore version now. The Kenmore has much improved since. What happen to Whirlpool, I wonder?
Old 03-05-10, 11:44 AM   #10
Wonderboy
Lurking Renovator

This looks like a fine job kb, do you have any regrets, anything you wish you'd have done? I really have to do something similar in my basement, although luckily none of it is above ground. The windows are pretty old, and obviously drafty, so they will either need to be repaired/painted or replaced. The major thing is that although there is no major moisture problem with my foundation/walls, I've noticed since buying the house that the walls are very slowly crumbling. I don't know what this is a result of (it COULD after all be moisture, but it doesn't feel like moisture is involved - I can't get a knife in the surface of the wall like typical moisture-laden mortar), and I don't want to waste money on a sealant that is just going to fall apart with the wall, or if I should ignore this and throw up some insulation like you did. Intuitively, I'd think that throwing up some insulation like that, especially with a permanent bond would not be a wise idea for someone with deteriorating walls. If the walls deteriorate enough to require major repair, the styrofoam would have to be taken down, and if it's glued, would have to be torn down in a big wasteful mess. BTW my walls are laid stone, but well done (I wouldn't have bought the house if it weren't faithful of the foundation's structural integrity.) Hope someone can advise.

Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote