Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-04-10, 07:33 AM   #11
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thanks

Couple of benefits.
1. The ground in my yard is... crap. Very rocky, lots of weeds, very packed down. (Yes, i could have tilled, filled with better dirt, etc) So i built the box, filled it with good dirt - probably TOO good dirt - and used that. Figured that would also be better for the roots.
2. Rabbits. Rabbits eat the hell out of my wife's flowers. This raised the garden off the ground a bit (plus i put a small fence around it.) this helped, I had no problems.
3. Raised was the basic concept for square foot gardening. I saw it somewhere online, and it seems like a good idea. And if I wanted more, I could just build another box. Though, I likely won't. From this point forward, I'll likely just keep things ground level, and use my own compost as it becomes available.

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 08:43 AM   #12
Higgy
The Gardener

You could always do what I did to my garden. Although building it was a hell of a lot of work. You can check it out in my intro post, I think there's still pictures there. But if you don't want to go as far as I did, you could do what my inlaws did and just make a huge square out of 2x6's and fill it with dirt. I would till a bit of it up first though, but otherwise that would be easiest if you just wanted a nice raised garden. Put some 1x6 planks down in between rows so you can walk on the dirt...or put some flat rocks in between the rows. That's only if you want it raised though.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 01:53 PM   #13
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

Currently being harvested:
lettuce, spinach, collards, broccoli, miner's lettuce, komatsuna, carrots, parsnips, leeks, green onions, beets, jeruselum artichoke

Immature crops currently growing in the cold frames:
lettuce, cabbage, collards, broccoli, tomato, potato, globe artichoke

Immature crops currently growing in the ground in outdoor beds:
peas, fava beans, cabbage, collards, kale, broccoli, multiplier onions, bulbing onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, asparagus, mints

Additional crops to be planted this season:
radish, pole and bush beans, runner beans,yard-long beans, asparagus (winged) beans, soybeans, cowpeas, sweet peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, muskmelon, wax melon, summer and winter squash, kohlrabi, sweet corn, eggplant, malabar spinach, Egyptian spinach, celtuce, okra, sweet potato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 05:27 PM   #14
Blue Fox
Lurking Renovator

I won't order ever again from Henry Fields - they sucked me in with their free shipping deal and when I looked on my credit card statement - guess what? They billed me the shipping, and then after numerous emails to complain, which were never responded to, and multiple phone calls where the line was always busy, I gave up. I'll stick to old dependable Stokes, Veseys and new this year was William Dam, who has great customer service. I'll gladly pay a little more, and get great service.

Having said all that (phew!) I'm growing lots of onions from seed which would have done well for me last year if it wasn't for the grass clipping mulch which the robins loved scratching in for the worms - won't be doing that on onions, only on brassicas because they're bigger.
I have had variable results with potatoes, so I'm trying them in bags with some compost in the bottom (well rotted) and then I'll fill up with chopped leaves.
I always grow lots of peppers and tomatoes - they do the best on top of the compost pile, and my chicken house compost will have all the summer squash on top. I always grow lots of greens, lettuce, mesclun, chinese greens, kale, collards (top choice!).
Oh, and I've already planted two kinds of early peas, and will seed some tall telephone for later, and about four kinds of beans, mostly runner types.

For herbs you might want to try chopping them, filling ice cube trays then top with water and freeze. Once frozen you can take them out and put them in a ziploc bag, use one or more to flavor your spaghetti sauce, soup whatever. You can make up your own blends, or do them separate. I don't dry herbs any more as they lose their flavour very quickly.
Looking forward to spring!
Blue Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 03:37 PM   #15
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Today I helped the Wife plant her little garden. It's not much, but since this is her first, she's very happy about it
After we finished she said "Now you can go and brag to your friends about the garden you made." So I'm bragging, but she should get all the credit for it, I only made the name tabs out of recycled yoghurt containers. (Unfortunately, her English isn't as good as mine, so EcoRenovator probably won't have a user named mrs_magda in the nearest future.)

In the middle are small onions my Dad-in-law planted 2-3 weeks ago.

On the left are: parsley, melissa and lettuce. On the far left is the only evergreen shrub that survived the winter (we forgot that we put 6 of them in the basement and didn't water them). It sprouted from a seed that Magda brought home from our honeymoon hiking trip in the Spanish Sierra Nevada mountains in 2008.

Right of the onions are: dill, basil, oregano, thyme and "flowers" (lavender).

We wish that we could have a place in the garden where we could plant more, but our lot is very small and the dog won't allow anything that would make it even smaller. Oh, how we wish we could find that ideal property in the mountains, far from the city, just for us...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garden1.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	696   Click image for larger version

Name:	garden2.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	697   Click image for larger version

Name:	garden3.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	698  
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 06:59 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

Looks like a nice buncha stuff Piwoslaw. My wife is expanding her garden this year a fair amount. I'll have to get pictures when I till it up. She usually takes care of it all, but I have a feeling I'll be helping out this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 10:35 PM   #17
Sid

It is a challenge finding vegetables that can survive the Florida heat and bugs. Right now, I am only harvesting summer squash and okra (and you can only eat so much okra). My spaghetti (winter) squash plants are still growing and flowering, but not producing any gourds. My cherry tomato plant are starting to wilt. My black eyed peas looked like they were dying, but have started flowering again. My swiss chard should survive the summer, but I'm having trouble bugs. My malabar spinach is just starting to grow.
Old 07-23-10, 12:30 PM   #18
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

Veggies that do well in the SC summer heat/humidity and bugs include yard long beans, Matt's wild cherry tomato (prolifically self seeds, I haven't planted any seed for years, has mutated into red, pink, and yellow fruited strains), Seminole squash/pumpkin, Italian edible gourd, malibar spinach, egyptian spinach, sweet potato, and asparagus bean.

basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 07:15 AM   #19
tomboy mom
Helper EcoRenovator

Default we're starting tomatos today!

this is the year i plan on getting this right, lol! last year i had fantastic results with several melons, squash, beans, cukes, and more. right now i have lettuce, brocolli, onions, garlic, and carrots.

the tomato thing is terribly difficult with hot summers. last year i shaded them and gave them a daily cool off spray around noon. it kept them alive but the fruits were TINY. i'm starting earlier this year. according to arizona master gardeners this is the time to start them from seed...so here we go again. my goal is to be sick of looking at tomatoes just like i was sick of looking at cukes and cantaloupe last year.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-11-11 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Merged to this thread
tomboy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 08:08 AM   #20
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yep - start the tomatoes early. Get a crop before the summer heat. Keep them alive through the heat and they'll give you a second crop in the fall. We really have two short seasons for tomatoes. I'm trying Stupice for an extra-early variety this year.

I'll be starting mine in a couple weeks, since I'm in North Texas.

PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote