EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-19, 04:23 PM   #11
dguzzi
Lurking Renovator

Our company has 128 panels @365W, made by Jinko Solar
We are using 2 Solar Edge 20kW 480v 3 ph inverters

I know its not simple home type system but it sure drove home the affect it has on our billing. Net metering is active and easy to watch and monitor.
I would love to get a similar (but smaller!) system at home.
My research indicates 8kW would give me everything...I'd be happy with less so I could afford it!

Last edited by dguzzi; 05-18-19 at 05:57 PM..
dguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 09:08 AM   #12
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

Good survey I am amassing my PV capabilities one panel at a time. I used to DIY 60W panels by buying the separate PVs and soldering for hours. That was 8 years ago and I figured making them myself cost around 65.00. Since then, panels have come down so far in price that I am buying 100W Monocrystalline panels from Renogy for around $115.00/ea. I also bought a no-name brand 'flexible' 100W mono on eBay for $105.00. For my battery bank, I use 'Duracell' 6V batteries form "Sam's Club" for around $85.00/ea - I've had these batteries for 6 years and they are still working fine. My goal is to amass 17 - 100W panels to run my house hold eventually.
vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-19, 08:43 AM   #13
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhead77 View Post
Good survey My goal is to amass 17 - 100W panels to run my house hold eventually.
Kudos to you, to have your energy demands low enough that 1700 rated watts of solar can power your home!

Our 6810w would cover our usage for about 10 months of the year until we converted our gas furnace to electric, and it fell to about 7 months of the year. Then, we bought our Bolt. Now, maybe 2 or 3 months. I have plans for an off-grid array of about 3600w, connected to a critical loads panel on a transfer switch, mostly to entertain myself as I head towards retirement. I'll have to have something to keep me going.......
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 07:48 AM   #14
vwhead77
Helper EcoRenovator

I should be clear that I'm only interested in running all of my lighting, computer, WiFi, a couple of 115V outlets for use if needed, and 'emergency' use refrigerator or appliances. The only thing I'm not prepared for is a keeping my 220V deep well pump going during an outage. I have purchased a 'hand-pump' and plan on spiking that into the ground for emergency water source. I heat with wood and that would be my source for 'hot' water if ever the situation unfolds. Ideally, my house would run most everything on 7.5 kwh but that's a bit of a reach for my financial situation. That scenario would be to install about 30 X 250W panels or 75 X 100W panels - and a battery bank big enough to deliver.

vwhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote