Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-13, 04:19 PM   #1
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Cold corners

So last night we dropped to -12F and i was taking the infrared thermometer around the house to see what kind of cold spots i could find (plenty of them). My walls are void of any insulation. I had spots on some walls (west/north facing walls) below freezing...and down in the corners I had a temp as low as 15F! (right where the trim meets up). I must be getting air leakage. This morning i had good amounts of frost in several areas. So how do i tackle this? My house is pretty air tight (had a blower door test done last year/along with a lot of attic insulation/caulking done). Thinking about ripping off the trim and caulking or should I go from the outside? Maybe rip out all exterior wall trim and caulk the length of the walls. Dense pack cellulose is on my list (2x4 walls), but obviously cellulose won't help much in the corners (vinyl siding over clapboard/tar paper). I know wrapping the house in a bunch of foam board would be ideal, but that isn't happening anytime soon (money/time/etc).

Another interesting thing I could see is thermal bridging... i could tell by the where the studs were (temps would be a couple degrees colder).

Thanks for any suggestions.

warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote