EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-19, 06:04 PM   #1
mab
Lurking Renovator

Default Buying panels

I'm looking to purchase panels and micro inverters before the end of the year. I am just starting to research. Do folks here have any advice on what to look at when choosing panels and inverters?
I'd appreciate any insight you have.

Thanks,
Mike

mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 07:07 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

Most important insight I can offer is to know what state limitations exist, if any. In FL, we have a limited list of panels that have been "state certified" for use in creating a "state certified photovoltaic system". My municipality will only grant me permits to install a "state certified photovoltaic system", which is another $250 piece of paper after someone at the state certifying university reviews the system design for NEC compliance.

After that, I've used Sun Electronics, and Renvu as vendors to purchase my panels. If you have to order less than a pallet of panels, find someone local to split the pallet with. and order a pallet.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 01:53 PM   #3
mab
Lurking Renovator

I realize it is an open ended question.
I don't know if there is really any difference in panels (Canadian solar, etc).
Poly vs Mono?

Does it really come down to price and wattage?

I hadn't considered local restrictions. I'll have to check with the parish.
Thanks for that.

Mike
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 04:22 PM   #4
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
I realize it is an open ended question.
I don't know if there is really any difference in panels (Canadian solar, etc).
Poly vs Mono?

Does it really come down to price and wattage?
Basically, yes IMHO, it really does boil down to price, # of cells, and wattage. My poly's have been collecting sunshine for 6+ years. I think the last pallet of panels I bought are mono's.

Future warranty on panels is a roll of the dice. Do you think the manufacturer will still be in business? If the manufacturer uses a 3rd party insurer, will you be able to locate the third party insurer if the need arises? I don't envision the manufacturers keeping warehouses full of "new" panels around in the event that a manufacturing defect arises in 10 years. Even a 3rd party insurer is not going to have a warehouse full of panels to "send me another" in the event a defect arises down the road. So, like all insurance, the devil is in the details and terms of the policy and how it is written.

There are sometimes minor efficiency improvements between seemingly equivalent panels of equivalent wattage. If the more efficient panel is 30% more expensive than the "standard" panel, now you know what the extra efficiency costs, and does it make ANY sense to spend the extra $$ on more efficient panels if you could just add one or two additional "standard" panels and get the same energy output in a year?

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote