EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-06-11, 05:57 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

I hooked up the kill a watt this morning. I think a week of testing is a good period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 10:38 AM   #12
zick
Helper EcoRenovator

Well, any results?
zick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 10:40 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Nope, not yet. I'm still gathering baseline data with the kill a watt. I'm going to be on vacation all next week so I'll just keep on gathering data with the kill a watt. Once I'm back I'll start using the jugs of ice.

&
Old 01-24-11, 06:39 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I've ended the first A leg (no ice) of the testing tonight. The data is:

19.7 kWh
444 hours / 18.5 days
1.06 kWh/day

I have now added two gallon jugs of ice to the refrigerator. The testing of the B leg has started.

Unfortunately, I'm really not sure they're going to do much. First off, I filled the jugs ~7/8 full of water and put them out last night. I checked them this morning and there was still an air bubble inside meaning it was not totally frozen. This means that over ~10 hours, it wasn't enough to freeze a gallon of water into ice at ~15F/-9.5C out. Now, my tap water is roughly 50F/10C, so the difference in temperature is 35F/19.5C. Once the ice is now in the fridge, the difference in temperature is going to be much smaller. I have my fridge set to 40F/4.4C for a difference of only 8F/4.5C while the ice phase changes into water. I will estimate that this will take roughly 4X as long since the difference in temperature is 4X smaller. So, basically I really need a lot more surface area to do much good. However, I will continue with the test to see if there are any measurable changes. In the mean time perhaps we can come up with a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge01.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1221  

&

Last edited by Daox; 01-25-11 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: add image
Old 01-25-11, 01:18 AM   #15
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Smaller jugs, but more of them. Like four 2-quart jugs (I'm thinking of the tall skinny milk/juice jugs) should have roughly 50% more surface area. 2-liter soda bottles would be second best. I'm not sure what kind of containers you can easily get locally, but now that I thought about it, here I can find stuff in all sorts of sizes: 6 liters, 5 l, 3 l, 2.5 l, 2 l, 1.75 l, 1.5 l, 1.25 l, 1 l, 0.5 l. Oh, the miraculous plastics industry, tailored to my every need...

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-25-11 at 01:26 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 05:29 AM   #16
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Or just use a 24h cycle time.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 06:09 AM   #17
Daox
Administrator

I can use a shorter cycle for sure, but would that be of much benefit? I would think I need more surface area so the ice can shed its cool faster.

&
Old 01-25-11, 06:25 PM   #18
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I'm still convinced you'll see a larger improvement due to effectively lowering the volume of the fridge by storing cool stuff in it then you will from transferring cold into the fridge. The only real way to tell will be to take your current readings and then just leave the jugs sitting in the fridge at fridge temps. It should use a little more power then the cold transfered in experiment but should still be an improvement over just having that space sit empty.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 07:45 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

I hope you are right, it would be great to see a good improvement from something so simple.

&
Old 01-26-11, 12:34 AM   #20
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

So after the 'frozen jug' experiment maybe Daox should test his fridge with water jugs just sitting inside? That would then be easily compared to the empty fridge baseline and to the ice test.

Daox, when doing the ice test, is it possible to put the jugs on the top shelf? That's where it's warmest, so they'll soak up more heat.

BTW Where is it best to place water containers in an empty fridge? Top shelf, bottom shelf, middle, evenly distributed? At the bottom is where it's coldest, so if that space it taken up then the air that escapes when the door opens won't be as cold. But with water mass at the top, the cool will drop down to warm the displaced air after closing the door.

Our refrigerator has been mostly empty in the last few weeks (never more than 30%-40% full, but closer to 15%-20% most of the time). So I've put two 2-liter bottles in, but they hardly take up any room. Now I'm waiting for more containers to free up (kinda hard now that we've almost stopped drinking bottled water).

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-26-11 at 12:37 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote