EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-16, 04:27 PM   #1
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default fill window with propane

So thermal conductivity of propane about the sama as argon, and cheap.

Redoing some of my window that 'fogged' up, figure to fill with propane vs N2 or air.

Anyone done that?

mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 10:55 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Sounds like a good way to make a glass bomb. Just takes a little bit of oxygen getting in and a bit of static to set it off.

IIRC, the thermal conductivity of gases (that are not allowed to phase change) has to do with the molecular weight. Maybe R152a from an air duster could make a cheap and safe alternative?
Old 07-25-16, 06:51 AM   #3
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

A. thats insane.
B. theres no vacumm in a window
C. they displace the air in the window with argon and seal it
D. If the seal is broken DONT BOTHER fixing it

Really just get a new sash because somehow the seal around the two panes is not good any more. You will spend more time trying to fix it then you would ordering a new sash and replacing it. Just bring the old sash back to them if they are a local company. Most have life time warranty on whats called glazing.
LJKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 07:35 PM   #4
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

A. why? betcha u scared of R290 also?

B. who said anything about vacuum ? Would be nice, to have only radiation losses, but the 14+ psi would mean mighty small window segments without broken glass

c. ok, you are correct in c,

d. what, don't bother??? Sounds like a typical yuppie that cannot do anything for themselves ?
best thing about this site is to me the ECO means economy to me, not ecology at any price just for the 'feel good' aspect and supposed moral superiority on non monetary 'green'.

I can replace a pane in less time than it takes to drive the 5 mi to a glass place and back, and save over a $$hundred at the same time.

FWIW, have an Ar bottle with my welding setup. Propane better thermodynamically than Ar, almost as good as Krypton or Xenon which are much pricier.
Propane ignites between about 2% and 10% mixture, would have to get a LOT of air into the window to get the propane down to 10%.

Last edited by mejunkhound; 07-26-16 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: add welding.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 09:23 PM   #5
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejunkhound View Post

d. what, don't bother??? Sounds like a typical yuppie that cannot do anything for themselves ?
best thing about this site is to me the ECO means economy to me, not ecology at any price just for the 'feel good' aspect and supposed moral superiority on non monetary 'green'.

I can replace a pane in less time than it takes to drive the 5 mi to a glass place and back, and save over a $$hundred at the same time.

FWIW, have an Ar bottle with my welding setup. Propane better thermodynamically than Ar, almost as good as Krypton or Xenon which are much pricier.
Propane ignites between about 2% and 10% mixture, would have to get a LOT of air into the window to get the propane down to 10%.
I have done this work before and I have always found it is easier to just replace it
Old 07-26-16, 10:51 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

That's the spirit: just go buy a new "lifetime" window. Then donate the old one to me. It's ok, I will refurbish it and find it a new home (wink wink). It's the new way.

By the way, china is buying our trash in bulk and selling it back to us "remanufactured", so the "renewed" warranty window may very well have made a trip around the world. Capitalism is a jagged little pill.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 11:17 PM   #7
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
That's the spirit: just go buy a new "lifetime" window. Then donate the old one to me. It's ok, I will refurbish it and find it a new home (wink wink). It's the new way.

By the way, china is buying our trash in bulk and selling it back to us "remanufactured", so the "renewed" warranty window may very well have made a trip around the world. Capitalism is a jagged little pill.

I mean the sash aka the piece of glass that's fogged lol guess I should have stated earlier
Old 07-27-16, 09:54 AM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I think that filling a window with propane is a brilliant idea. You should do it.

It is pure rubbish that you will be creating a bomb, no matter if there is a critical mix, it would still need a source of ignition.

Go for it!

-AC
Old 07-27-16, 10:00 AM   #9
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

For what it's worth, the thermal conductivity of air is only 1.5x that of Argon. I recommend building your own double or triple pane windows with larger air gaps before trying to pump propane into an existing window.

https://www.nachi.org/window-gas-fills.htm
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 01:51 PM   #10
elhigh
Helper EcoRenovator

The seal on my kitchen window has failed and I'm getting condensation between the panes. Anyone have any good suggestions? I have no experience with double-pane windows, I've always had single pane and storms, or - much worse - the dreadful single panes in steel (!?) frames throughout the rest of my house.

elhigh is offline   Reply With Quote