EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-07-11, 04:30 PM   #1
RKA
Lurking Renovator

Default Mini Split DIY Tools/Supplies/Accessories Sources

If you've tried local HVAC supply houses, you'll probably find them disinterested in doing business with a homeowner, and if you're anything like me, you use the keyboard to do your shopping. So I thought I would consolidate a list of sources I used for all things related to my mini split install. If anyone has any they want me to add, just comment in the thread and I'll update.

Equipment and Accessories
Your mini split system. Too many vendors to list, but the one below stands out because they provide very good tech support and include some accessories with the system purchase (I did not end up ordering from them, but found numerous praises on the internet while searching). Inquire about whether the inventory is on hand or in bound as lots of places carry very little inventory on hand to keep costs down. With any vendor, find out how many accessories they can provide and see if you can negotiate a reduced price for those when bundling with the mini split order. Otherwise those additional items are high markup and high profit items.
Minisplitsystems.com
Linesets – Huge mark up on these everywhere. If I had to do it over again, I’d buy soft copper tubing from my local Home Depot as well as insulation, get a good flaring tool, and make my own. Usually your mini split will come with flare nuts for either end, so you’ll just need to slip them over the copper and make your own flare.
Lineset insulation – Armaflex makes very good insulation, and it’s available in Home Depot in 6 foot lengths with the slit down the side for ease of installation. Home Depot also carries armaflex insulating wrap which can additionally add by spirally wrapped around the linesets and control wire to neatly bundle everything.
Lineset covers – SlimDuct and Airtec Fortress are the two most common, both sold here. Shipping fees are not on the website, but I used them and they were very reasonable ($16 for 12 feet of line set covers, elbows, couplings and a 160 ft roll of condensate tubing).
1source2buy.com - LINESETS and SlimDuct Line Concealer System
Condensate Tubing – Airtec makes a corrugated UV resistant tubing sold at the site above, but only in 160 ft rolls. Lots of online vendors also sell 15-20 ft lengths of the same stuff at huge mark ups or with outrageous shipping charges. I recommend this stuff over plain vinyl tubing because it won’t kink/clog and is UV resistant.
Wall Sleeve – Get this at the same site above. I recommend the FPS65 wall sleeve as it incorporates a 5 degree down slope to keep your condensate running downhill. Works great if your house siding is flat faced, but if it’s scalloped like mine…it still works just doesn’t look as pretty, but hopefully you’ll get the lineset covers to hide it (another issue with scalloped siding).
Pad or wall brackets – Diversitech makes a bunch of stuff sold by every mini split supplier for huge mark up, so negotiate this in with your purchase or pour your own concrete pad, or put it up on blocks.
Tools and Supplies
HVAC Supply Houses
Climate Doctors
Trutechtools.com (coupon code thankyou for $20 off $125 of more)
HVACR-Tools.com
http://fierychill.com/hvac
ebay seller jsphily (Johnstone in Philadelphia)
Ebay in general (there are about 5 HVAC supply houses selling goods here)

Vacuum Pump – check craigslist. You would be surprised how many techs go out and buy equipment, get their first job and realize the company provides this for them. That’s how I got mine, and it was half the going price on the internet and it was new. Be careful with used pumps, many of the cheaper ones are not rebuildable and it also becomes a potential source of trouble if you buy one that’s been around the block too many times.
VIOT Professional HVAC Tools and Parts
Vacuum Pump Oil – just bundle with another online order. Always use fresh oil.
Vacuum Micron Gauge – All supply houses will carry a variety of these. Fieldpiece makes one of the least expensive ones as of this writing.
5/16" adaptor - go to ebay for these mini split adapters if the place you order your mini split doesn't give them to you for free (many will). This will allow you to connect a standard 1/4" hose set.
Manifold gauge set and hoses – make sure the hoses are 5/16” or go to ebay and get 5/16” adaptors to connect a standard 1/4” hose set.
VIOT Professional HVAC Tools and Parts
Tubing cutter – big box store will have this near the refrigeration/plumbing section, use a sharp blade!
Reamer/Deburring Tool – big box store will have this near the refrigeration/plumbing section. It’s a pretty generic tool, just be gentle, it’s soft copper afterall.
Flaring Tool – any of the supply houses listed above will have this. I do have a specific recommendation. I used a yellow jacket 60278 deluxe flaring tool. It was expensive at $125, but having previous experience making first time flares with an inexpensive tool and the headaches it created, I vowed not to repeat the process again. The YJ tool gave me perfect flares with perfect height the first time around with no practice and little fuss.
Spring Bender – any supply house should have these. I purchased a more expensive ratcheting bender and never really needed it. That is intended for tight radius turns, which you should never really do as it adds restriction. A spring bender was much more useful and very inexpensive, and I had enough room that I didn’t require a tight radius turn. By the way, I only needed it on the 5/8” line. The 3/8” was easier to work by hand.
Nitrogen Tank and Purging Regulator – You’ll need to fill the tank locally. Lots of places that supply medical and welding gases.
Weldfabulous - THE Welding Superstore!
Nylog Blue – put this on threads to keep joints leak free. Limited places to buy on the internet, best price with shipping was on ebay.
Ebay seller john102561
All things electrical – just go to your local big box store. You can find THHN if you’re running in conduit or romex type wire if you’re running inside walls, AC disconnect boxes, seal tight whip kits, control wire (UV rated and outdoor rated black jacket), circuit breaker, etc.
Hole saw and mandrel extension – big box store

Last edited by RKA; 12-07-11 at 06:46 PM..
RKA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RKA For This Useful Post:
Mobile Master Tech (07-29-13)

Tags
mini split, parts, supplies, tools