EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-12, 12:37 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default BBQ ing Argentina Style

My wife immigrated to Canada from Argentina and the melding of cultural benefits are great. One I would like to share with the Ecorenovators. During this hot weather a BBQ was the order of the day. Who wants to heat a kitchen in this weather.

Long before I met my wife cooking on a propane BBQ was routine and I was proud of my work there and my friends would also commend me with their fine Canadian Beef, steaks BBQ ed to their perfection. Little did I know back then.
While just dating my now wife we were sitting in my back yard enjoying a wine infront of a fire. She procceeded to explain how in Argentina they cooked over a natural wood fire. My first thought was, do you not have propane in Argentina? Yes, but the flavors of meat cooked over a wood charcol fire cannot be beat. OK. Fine resturants in Agrentina cook over a wood coal grill.

I ran to the fridge grabbed some butterfly pork chops removed the grate from the propane BBQ set them on some bricks and moved some red hot wood coals under the grill and my life changed there and then. The butterfly pork chops were the best I had tasted.

After some trips to Argentina and exposure to their methods of grilling over wood charcoal WOW. Upon my return home I built a Argentine style (Parrilla) BBQ. I still have a lot of learning to do but its a huge success. The meat that comes off this Parrilla is out of this world!!! Its a social and or familly event. Build the fire and let it burn to coals while enjoying a beverage sitting around chatting. As the flames die and turn to coals you place your meat over and slowly cook, tasting from time to time until perfection . It is slow but I must tell you it is beyond fantastic. Different woods, different subtle flavours. We are using apple wood now but our other favourite is maple wood.

All my friends really appreciate the Parrilla. The social event that surrounds the BBQ ing is called Asado.

Being a fellow ecorenovator this life style fits well. Keep the heat outside, Save the propane for refrigerant. I may add that being a hardy Canadian the parrilla is even fired up in the winter when the snow is flying. One still has to eat!!

Photos of the parrilla, note the slot for a rottisserie spitt. the grill can be removed and raised and lowered. A light is inside for asados during the latter evenings. The meat tonight is pork loin with corn cobbs boiling. I'll add just a dash of sea salt and another sip.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1423.jpg
Views:	5910
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2470   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1424.jpg
Views:	3237
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2471   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1425.jpg
Views:	1878
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2472  

Last edited by Daox; 10-12-15 at 04:15 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 01:44 PM   #2
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Turkey in a Hybrid wood fired Propane Parrilla

Awe

Here it is Thanksgiving in Canada Eh and its a beautiful day Oct 12/2015. The weather this time of year can be a little inhospitable rain cool and not conducive for a BBQ. But today the norm is not the norm and its really nice.

I've been wanting to do this for years a turkey on the Argentine wood Parrilla(BBQ).
However it requires some Macgyvering. The problem is that to maintain a good bed of coals to cook the turkey though would be a lot of work and a lot of wood not to mention drying the turkey out

I had rescued a cast iron burner from a propane BBQ and adapted to the Parrilla to cook the turkey

The idea is this cook the turkey slowly while wrapped to keep it moist then un-wrap and finish over some wood coals to impart the wood flavor and hopefully not dry the bird out.

So far so good.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	151012_001.jpg
Views:	1461
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	6047   Click image for larger version

Name:	151012_002.jpg
Views:	1489
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	6048   Click image for larger version

Name:	151012_003.jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	6049   Click image for larger version

Name:	151012_004.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	6050   Click image for larger version

Name:	151012_005.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	6051  

Name:	151012_006.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	6052  

Last edited by Daox; 10-12-15 at 04:17 PM..
Old 10-12-15, 04:55 PM   #3
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Man

The jury is in. It was delicious.

The turkey was cooked above the propane flame for 3 hrs. followed by opening like a butterfly and place for the final roasting above a wood charcoal ember.

The findings were that the turkey meat absorbs the wood flavor more than a fine cut of beef.
In true Eco-renovator fashion looking for results outside the box and this worked very well. Never had thought the wood ember flavor would have been such a hit.

The kitchen stayed cool and the parrilla seen some use. The result was spectacular. Get rid of that oil deep fryer and embrace the wood burning BBQ.

Randen
Old 10-13-15, 12:09 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

That sounds really nice... could be that its lunch time and I'm hungry too, haha.

BTW, from the pictures I can definitely tell you have a machine shop! Beautiful work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-15, 01:13 PM   #5
Higgy
The Gardener

Very nice. Should have taken a pic of the bird after you were done.

Does the grate need to be directly over the coals, or as close as possible?
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-15, 03:05 PM   #6
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Randen, ya right bastard, ya. I can attest to the quality of that boys cookering on that wee beastie. Our day off was spent in Nova Scotia running dogs on a loooonnnggg beach but unfortunately the turkey was done in an electric oven. Oh well, win some, lose some.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-15, 04:53 PM   #7
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Higgy and others I apologize

I should have taken a photo of the finished bird. But I had some hungry customers and the turkey needed to get to the plates.
As I had mentioned the turkey was removed from the spit and cut down the breast opening up like a butterfly, basted a little and placed back on the grill over a wood charcoal from a fire I had started earlier.
The propane burner is removable and can be quickly stored away and the charcoal embers can be placed beneath the grill and the BBQing can continue.
This last step put the finish brazing to the turkeys skin.

As this was the first attempt at this procedure we were all surprised at the flavor that the wood charcoal had imparted in the turkey meat so quickly as well as the moisture that remained. It only took an additional 45mins.

Mikesolar I'm sure you ate well in Nova-Scotia. They can be quite fancy there too!

Randen

Next time I will include the complete photo diary of the Argentine Parrilla.