EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-05-10, 01:12 PM   #31
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'll try to accomodate this real soon. I had such a hard time learning how to post pictures that I haven't tried ANYthing different in how I do it. I have noticed that my pictures don't enlarge as well as some other folks' pictures.

Thanks for the interest in the project! It helps keep me going.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 01:23 PM   #32
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night I worked on outsmarting my computer so I could put bigger pictures on this thread. To keep it simple, I replaced pictures in posts #11, #18 and #22. They came out considerably larger.

Anyway, I went by the Truss manufacturer on the way to work this morning (they open @ 7:00) and finalized my order for trusses. The sizing allows for a 21" overhang over the north and south walls and we worked out my 12" overhang on the east and west ends. I told Dusty (truss design guru) that my framing book shows the end trusses notched on top to allow (notched) 2x4's to: butt into the next to the last truss - half lap joint the end truss - stick out enough for the overhang. Could he fix the plan to make this easier for me. No problem. He pulled the end trusses up on his computer and reduced the size of the truss for a 2x6, so now I : butt a 2x6 up to the next to the last truss, attach it to the top of the end truss and stick out the extra foot (or more) I wanted. Two for Dusty. Delivery is set for 5/21. The final price is $3,300 plus tax. It is a cantilevered truss, 27 1/2 feet long, 2x12 bottom chord and all of the top chords are 2x8s, with all of the filler boards (bracing, I suppose) are 2x4's. He also put the framing in for the 3'x5' window openings on both the end trusses. BTW, those windows do not require a header, so there are none.
Old 05-06-10, 07:20 PM   #33
Daox
Administrator

Wooo, nice. Love the bigger pictures!

Can't wait to see more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 07:44 AM   #34
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night, BIL was fighting a losing battle with his mom's Dodge, trying to replace the alternator. As he pitches in frequently when I need help (like stacking wall sections on the rack with me), I spent the evening redoing his work so his mother could have her car back. Didn't get a thing accomplished on my project directly, but helped repay some favors. I'll be needing help again soon to stand the walls up and hang trusses, so......
Old 05-10-10, 07:41 AM   #35
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Friday evening we were going to have a family get-together at our house again. Still, I managed to layout and assemble one of the west (back) wall sections. Saturday morning, with help from BIL and his son, we moved that wall outside and onto the rack. After a couple of hours working in the garden, it was back to the west wall.

I laid out the wall and assembled the other west wall, and BIL and nephew helped get that out onto the rack and covered up. That was about it for Saturday. Had to do a bit of shopping to pick up something for Mothers Day.

Sunday afternoon, I managed to get back to the workshop for a couple of hours. I cut to wall stud length 30 more 2x6's and drilled them for the wiring runs. Then I laid out the first of the south wall sections. I'm working left to right on those sections, and have the first one laid out, just not assembled. This one will have a walk-in door, and is 6' long. In order, the rest are a 12' section with two windows, a 10' section with two windows and an 8' section with one window. I laid them out this way because I did not want a section to have a window opening at a splice.

The pictures show how we are moving the walls from the garage to the rack. That's me in front stooped down, BIL (Ricky) on the left and his son (Adam) on the right. Next is the easy part, courtesy of my wifes pickup, and finally, the lifting part to get them on the rack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Transport 1.JPG
Views:	1244
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Transport 2.JPG
Views:	890
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Transport 3.JPG
Views:	1026
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	727  
Old 05-10-10, 09:51 AM   #36
Daox
Administrator

Wooo, looks like you got a couple sections to make up yet! I couldn't tell that the building was that big haha.

&
Old 05-11-10, 07:30 AM   #37
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I assembled the first of the south walls last night, the 6' section I mentioned laying out in my last post. Weather permitting, I will take it out and put it on the rack this evening and prepare to build the next section(s).

Before I go very far building a wall, I have been taking the metal off the block walls so I can measure exactly where the sill boards are placed, so the wall measurements are more accurate. In the case of the south wall, you'll note that there is a section with a tarp covering 8' or so of the wall. That will slow me down just a little bit, because I get help uncovering and recovering that section. It's covered because in the floor, under the tarp is the manifold for the radiant floor system. It keeps filling up with water when it rains and this was the solution. It has been somewhat successful. When it isn't successful, I use the shop vac to empty it out.

When I get the sill plates fitted to the south wall, it shouldn't be too long finishing that (last) wall! It feels like forever that I've been doing this, and I'm looking forward to getting the building erected and weathered in. We'll soon see if my math is any good.
Old 05-12-10, 07:17 AM   #38
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night I carried the 6' wall section out and put it on the rack. Thank God for hand trucks! I'm glad there aren't many more sections, the tarp won't reach the ground anymore on the short sides. It's the biggest tarp I could buy at WalMart, too. Thankfully, it won't be much longer before the walls go up.

We stripped the metal shields off the south wall and fitted the balance of the sill boards. I've been drilling 9/16" holes to go over 1/2" bolts mortared into the blocks. I have to wallow out the holes a bit, because the bolts aren't exactly straight up. The garage is still a mess, because after doing all the carrying, I'm a bit sore. Straighteneing up the garage is next on my to-do list, then the next wall section. Tonight is "date night" though, so there won't be much of anything completed on it.

I have my order for tubular skylights filled out, printed a copy and showed it to the wife last night. I want to make sure she doesn't object to me spending about $1,300 on 5 of them. She approved, so today I am placing the order for one 10" and four 14" tubular skylights and five light kits for when the sun isn't shining. Shopped as best I could on the web, couldn't beat Home Depot online pricing. {My only real requirement is to buy American when an American made product is available. IMHO, we don't need to lose any more manufacturing jobs in this country. Americans need work too. These are made by ODL in Michigan.}
Old 05-12-10, 10:25 AM   #39
Daox
Administrator

Its nice to hear that you try to buy American. Its pretty darn hard to do these days depending on what you want to buy.

&
Old 05-14-10, 07:20 AM   #40
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night I was back on the job. I cleaned up the garage and cut the two 2x6's to 12' so I could make the stud layout. I think I do more garage cleaning than anything else.

{BTW, for those out there who've never done a home improvement project, a word of caution. Take a tape measure. Just because you are buying a certain length piece of lumber doesn't mean that is it's EXACT length. Most of the wood I've bought had to be cut to length. It's not a real problem, just time consuming.}

After laying out the pattern on the top and bottom plates, I started making trimmers for the two windows in this wall section. Once I got going, I just kept on and made trimmers for all five windows that remain to be framed, kind of a production line. Once the ten of them were cut, I started cutting cripples to go under the windows. I only cut four and drilled the 3/4" holes that will be used when I pull wiring. It takes very little time extra while I am at this stage, and I'm sure on the day I need to pull wires, I'll be glad I did.

I didn't assemble the wall section last night, so I am really feeling the time squeeze coming. With trusses being delivered next Friday, and volunteers coming next Saturday to help hang them, time is getting more precious by the day. Life kind of gets in the way of some projects.