Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-27-12, 11:41 AM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herlichka View Post
The first machine is 5200 BTU, and I haven't had a chance to look too closely at it. The second machine is also 5200 BTU, and it seems to work, somewhat, just doesn't cool the air much.
5200 BTU is actually a pretty good size to start with.

If you look through the Homemade Heat Pump Manifesto, you will find a section that describes how to tell if your A/C is functional. There's also a section on looking inside the A/C to see how the thing works. There's also a section on heat exchanger selection, and even one on how to braze.

Your 5200 BTU could make a useful heat pump water heater. I have no idea what your home hot water consumption rate is, but at the very least, it could be useful in preheating water before the water went to the water heater. If your consumption was low enough, it might be able to do the whole job of water heating.

Lots of potential there.

-AC_Hacker

Old 01-28-12, 03:40 AM   #12
BradC
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Before you go tearing into it, jump over to this thread (on another board and have a good read of the first post).

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...rigeration-101

I've often found that most people see refrigeration as a bit of black magic. Once you explain it in simple terms, and they realise that it obeys all the laws of physics, and precisely how it uses them to your advantage, it all becomes very simple and clear.

That 101 thread is the best basic explanation I've found for the vapor compression refrigeration cycle, and everything we play with that has refrigerant in it obeys all those principles.

Knowing how it works pretty intimately takes away *all* the fear factors that prevent people breaking out the blowtorch and pipe cutters.

Also, knowing you can experiment with Hydrocarbon Refrigerants and not blow yourself up is a bonus too! I got a 9KG propane bottle, went out onto the lawn and played with it and my blowtorch. The worst thing that might have happened was a big flash and a brief fireball. In most cases all I got was a spurt of flame or a bad smell. I'm no longer scared of the stuff as I now understand what it takes to make it go BANG.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-30-12 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Fixed link
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BradC For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-28-12)
Old 01-28-12, 12:17 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Before you go tearing into it, jump over to this thread (on another board and have a good read of the first post).
Yeah, this is a great intro. I have appended it to the 'Manifesto' thread HERE.

P.S. Still waiting for some photos of your refrigerant cleaning setup...

-AC_Hacker