EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-08, 12:27 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Self Powered Solar Box Furnace

I really like the idea of using a fan powered with a solar PV panel. That should really increase the efficiency of the system. I'm still really wanting to do something like this with my garage.

Self Powered Solar Box Furnace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-28-08 at 12:30 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (06-12-14)
Old 10-29-08, 09:40 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Has anyone else thought about doing something like this?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 10:02 AM   #3
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nice! I think a simple flapper could eliminate the nighttime heat loss problem. Airflow opens it automatically during the day.
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 11:41 AM   #4
Blister
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Has anyone else thought about doing something like this?
Yeah, I have. I bought 20 page magnifiers a year or two ago from that online auction site and have just been looking for an excuse to use them. They are fresnel lenses and would direct a lot of sunlight onto any given thing. I'm just worried about temperature and sun damage. The plastic doesn't appear to be all that strong and I don't have any reason to think they'd be UV resistant.

I was thinking of either a project like this or a compact hot water heating project. My idea was to have finned troughs lined with a reflective material to bounce the magnified rays around a bit and the fins would be styled to force the intake air around an "S" shaped track long ways up and down the trough. Kinda like the vent system on a fireplace insert. I can't decide on wall mount or roof mount though. There would also be a small fan to draw more air out of the unit.

Our winters aren't as severe as some areas but sometimes it can get down to 10 degrees. I'm not sure whether to tough it out and use the lenses on something else or go for it. Money is always such an issue.

Blister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, solar