EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-13, 02:55 PM   #151
Daox
Administrator

I'm still working on a bit of the drywall, I think I have the final layer up on the corner. The main issue there is that I'm transitioning from plaster to drywall and there is a ~1/8" step to take care of. Having never done drywall before, this is a slow learning experience for me. Dusty, but not as horrible as some have made it seem.

I have already primed the ceiling and the majority of the outside wall with the windows. I'm getting awfully close to being able to start working on the hydronic floor (finally something interesting IMO haha).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131109_202409.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3631  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 11-13-13 at 03:04 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 03:13 PM   #152
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Since you said hydronic floor work was coming soon, I went back and looked again at the picture with the hydronic floor layout on it and something jumped out at me. What is the run that is shaped like S's all about on the lower left side?

I read {after I poured concrete, of course} that you want to be sure and leave plenty of room if your hydronic floor goes past a toilet. Too much heat around the wax seal and you may weaken it. Nobody wants a leaking toilet seal..... Since it seems to be taking the rest of my life to finish the project, I've not finished the downstairs of my project so the toilet is not in and the hydronic floor is only pex in the slab thus far.

{Can I call it downstairs if I haven't actually installed the stairs? }
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 03:21 PM   #153
Daox
Administrator

Are you talking about this image?

&
Old 11-13-13, 03:23 PM   #154
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Yep, that's the one.
Old 11-13-13, 03:38 PM   #155
Daox
Administrator

If I had to guess I'd stay its just to fill in the oddly sized gap that is there between the two other lines on either side of the S.

&
Old 11-13-13, 03:40 PM   #156
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I figured that was more likely, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case one of those loops was to go around a floor flange opening.
Old 12-13-13, 08:11 PM   #157
Daox
Administrator

The drywall and priming is done.

The hydronic floor work is ready to start anytime. This is the current tubing layouts I have laid out for the floor. I drew it up in my CAD software (SolidWorks). I'm looking for some feedback on which will be better and if the extra work will be worth it?

This is the easier one. The tubing is on 6" centers. Each parallel length is 1380 inches long, so flow will be equal through all branches. By using parallel runs, pumping losses should be minimized even for a small room.

Here is the second more preferred, but definitely more work. This is with 5" tubing centers. The parallel lengths are about 1720 inches each. I like this one because it really works into the irregularities of the room better. I don't see there being a huge benefit from going from 6" centers to 5" centers otherwise. My heat spreaders are 4.75" wide. I am wondering if bending my 1/2" pex tubing will be more of an issue with this spacing?

Feedback is very welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydronic floor tubing layout.jpg
Views:	1577
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	3760   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydronic floor tubing layout2.jpg
Views:	1765
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	3761  

&
Old 12-13-13, 08:20 PM   #158
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Won't one end of the room be much cooler than the other end?

Last edited by Mikesolar; 12-13-13 at 08:22 PM..
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 08:23 PM   #159
Daox
Administrator

Correct. The supply will be in the upper right. The upper wall is an outer wall, so I figured warmer input water would be better there.

I find it hard to believe the whole room would be warmer on one end than the other, I mean its only a 14' square room. Will that really be an issue?

&
Old 12-13-13, 08:26 PM   #160
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Depends on the length of each loop. @250ft length the typical temp drop will be about 20F. In your case that is probably not an issue as I think each loop is half that.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate