EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-14, 11:44 AM   #1
bte52
Lurking Renovator

Default Solar Panel Output

I purchased a 100W (2*50W) 12V folding mono solar panel with 15A solar charge controller from eco-worthy. They just arrived so I wanted to test them using a multimeter. I disconnected all the wires from the charge controller so that I could test each one independently. I tested in bright sunlight at high noon here on the East Coast. The stickers on each panel say the VOC is 22.41V and the ISC is 6.2 amp. One panel read 22.14V and the other 22.12V but noticed they started to drop a few volts rather quickly. My main concern is the fact that the ISC on both was lower than the rating (one was 3.12 amps and the other was 2.89. Do I have a problem here that I need to address with the mfg? Any help would be much appreciated.

bte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 11:47 AM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

The output is measured under ideal conditions and in practice, can be expected to be much lower.
Old 04-12-14, 02:18 PM   #3
OffGridKindaGuy
Hi-Tech Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to OffGridKindaGuy

Take your total wattage and divide by 17.. 100 divided by 17 = 5.88 amps. Your readings.. 3.12 + 2.89 = 6.01 amps. I'd say that you're doing OK..

I use 17 as a divisor for real world calculations because nothing is perfect and the sum is more realistic.. (Including burn-in)

New panels are always hotter than normal. (higher in output) After being used for a while, the output will drop a little and stabilize..
bte52 (04-12-14)
Old 04-12-14, 02:57 PM   #4
bte52
Lurking Renovator

I appreciate your help very much. I am still a little confused though. If each 50W panel has an ISC of 6.2 amps and I tested them separately why do we add both panels together? Sorry for stupid newbie question.

bte52 is offline   Reply With Quote