EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-10, 09:22 PM   #11
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Whats your plan to add humidity?
I purchased this tonight for $13.

Enthalpy has to come from somewhere, and in the case of this vaporizer, it's from electricity. It draws 88W. It's strictly manually operated.

My office has drafty, single pane windows and forced air, and the lab next door is a controlled (low) humidity environment. 20% RH at my desk. I have dry skin and a sinus headache that responds amazingly well to nasal irrigation. Hopefully, I can raise the humidity at home to offset the parched environment at work. At this point, saving money on home heating would be an afterthought.

Last edited by RobertSmalls; 12-10-10 at 09:25 PM..
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 08:28 PM   #12
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I switched off the furnace Friday night and didn't turn it on until company came over this afternoon. This humidifier is incredible. In a day of running it instead of the furnace, I went from 64°F dry / 50°F wet, to 55°F dry / 48°F wet. I was as comfortable at 55°F as I would normally be at 60°F: just a little colder than I like. But the great thing is, when it's 32°F out, that's the temperature my house settles at. I'm coming to believe that the wet bulb temperature is a much better way to predict how warm people in the room will feel.

This created a few nifty effects. One, Skittles become quite hard at 55°F, and other things become more viscous too. Two, I could see my breath inside, even though it didn't feel terribly cold.

The good news is I don't have any condensation on my window at all. My new target is 60% RH, and it looks like running this little vaporizer will hold it there.

Old 12-16-10, 06:23 AM   #13
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

My electric blanket arrived!

If the electric blanket can hold itself at human body temperature, it forms an isotherm (across which there is zero heat transfer, equivalent to perfect insulation) between me and the room. While under the blanket, I can no longer tell what temperature the room is.

I switched off the furnace and set the blanket to 4 out of 10 half an hour before bed. I hopped into a toasty-warm bed, and although the temperature in the room fell to 50F, it was perfectly comfortable.

My furnace usage is down to one hour in the morning and six hours in the evening.
Old 12-16-10, 06:36 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Doh, missed the previous post. That is awesome news! 55F thats amazing lol. Sounds freezing too but glad to see its comfortable. I'll have to start taking a few more humidity readings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 07:10 AM   #15
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

If the Wife and I had an electric blanket...
Yeah, I can imagine the morning grudge when someone took more of it than his/her share of the blanket at night
Old 12-16-10, 10:08 AM   #16
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

an electric mattress pad is a better choice. Put the heat below you and let it rise. they don't get dragged around like the blankets do and they also use less power if I remember correctly.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strider3700 For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-16-10)
Old 12-16-10, 10:25 AM   #17
Daox
Administrator

I agree with strider. It'll be more comfortable plus more efficient. I got one last year for my sister, she loves it.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 05:15 PM   #18
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

I normally only heat my house to 40F and the bedroom will normally stay in the upper 30's. I use an electric blenket with a down comforter on top of it to keep me warm at night. Turn on the blanket about 20 min before I plan to go to bed. One advantage of running a low indoor temp is that food items that are normally refrigerated remain perfectly fine sitting on the counter and you can open your windows and air out the house on the balmy winter days when the highs get into the 40's. Also there is no problems with low humidity causing static shocks when touching doorknobs and the like and wooden furniture drying out and getting wobbly.

basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 11:49 PM   #19
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

For those looking to lose weight, it looks like cold weather is a good thing.
Brr! Can Frigid Temps Lead to Weight Loss? - ABC News
Old 12-17-10, 05:47 AM   #20
skyl4rk
Helper EcoRenovator

What clothes do you wear to adapt to the lower temperatures?

skyl4rk is offline   Reply With Quote